Changing Processors???????

shoobridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Australia, Kalaru
Hi All,

Quick one for you all, I have an Imac G5 20inch Powerpc, I want to update it to work with current internet features and seem to be at a stand still because it is not intel. Is it possible to update it so it can be an intel? I also want to update it to OS 10.6.8 it is currently OS 10.5

Cheers

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
Hi All,

Quick one for you all, I have an Imac G5 20inch Powerpc, I want to update it to work with current internet features and seem to be at a stand still because it is not intel. Is it possible to update it so it can be an intel? I also want to update it to OS 10.6.8 it is currently OS 10.5

Cheers
Unfortunately ppc and intel use different sockets. (they could also be soldered in there). It's a round peg in a square hole situation, the intel CPU won't fit.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Unfortunately ppc and intel use different sockets. (they could also be soldered in there). It's a round peg in a square hole situation, the intel CPU won't fit.
Not to mention all the other components, RAM, chipset, etc are not compatible either.

You'd have to change every internal component.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
As others mention, you have to completely gut the insides, and unless you are enamored of the old design, just buy a new iMac.

Heh!

I like the older design better than the current one. More easily user serviceable.

I wish the new one was on the same design line.

I liken changing the hard drive on the new ones to removing a persons tonsils through an opening other than the throat! :eek: :D