Changing RAID and adding Sonnet TP+ to 5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xzag, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Xzag macrumors member

Hi all,

This odyssey started with a need to add storage space and speed for accessing many large aperture files, creating and archiving photo libraries, and associated slideshows/movies. I pulled the trigger a Sonnet Tempo Pro +, two 480GB Intel 730s, and four new 3TB WD Reds. Since cost of HW is dropping, all this came within $33 of my original budget and should be a huge performance gain once I get it all together:D

Current lineup:
    MP 5,1-12GB RAM-2x2.4 Hex running OSX 10.9.5
    HDD#1: 1TB WD Black (system, apps, and docs)
    HDD#2: 3TB Seagate Backup drive (time machine)
    HDD#3+4: 2x3TB WD Red in RAID 1 (this has aperture libraries and iTunes)
    USB 3.0 card and attached single drive chassis
    Offline and offsite copies of the data on the RAID

Future lineup desired:
    MP 5,1-12GB RAM-2x2.4 Hex running OSX 10.9.5 or Yosemite (?)
    2x480GB SDD on Sonnet Tempo Pro + (RAID0, bootable, with OS, apps, and scratch)
    4x 3TB WD Red in RAID 10 (6TB useable)
    USB 3.0 card and attached single drive chassis (for backup of the SSD drive)
    Offline and offsite copies of the data on the RAID

I would like to get the forum's opinions on my process for the upgrade(s).

Prep: All libraries are backed up, and original HDDs in the current lineup will be saved (except for one case in step 3, more on that later)
    Step 1: Remove the RAID 1 disks and time machine disk from chassis-Reboot
    Step 2: Install Sonnet PCIe card, and work at making it bootable
    Step 3: Create the new RAID (this is where I need help, see below)
    Step 4: Transfer data to new RAID (USB3.0 interface, external)
    Step 5: marvel at the speed I can edit, create, and export work for others to enjoy (I do this as a hobby, not a business, btw)

My logic is that if there is trouble with the Sonnet/SSDs, I can always just reassemble the machine back into the current state.

Advice needed on Step 3: I now have 6 WD Reds, all 3TB. Since the Reds arrived before the other stuff, I used one as a double backup of the material on the RAID1 (Idle hands and unused disks). I have 3 unopened, one as backup (simple copy of files), and two in the current RAID. When I disassemble the RAID1, is the data available for me to simply copy into the new RAID from only one of the disks? I have never disassembled the RAID1, so don't know (worked like a charm since new). Once I have a bootable Sonnet card, I think that I can create the 6TB large RAID 10 array from OSX just fine, but want to be cautious on how to get the data back from the current RAID to the new one. I see three possible ways to get this done:

Alpha: Create the RAID 10 using 3 unopened, plus one "donor" from the current RAID 1. Transfer the data from either the remaining disk from RAID1, or the simple copy of the libraries via USB 3.0.

Bravo: Create the RAID10 using 4 new disks, and then connect the RAID1 via eSATA or USB3.0 to transfer the libraries (this would require me to borrow a two-disk chassis with the RAID, and to buy another Red or Backup).

Charlie: Create the new RAID using 3 new and one "donor" with data intact (not confident on this one).

I assume that creating the RAID10 will destroy any data on the disks, but would like confirmation.

I also assume that I am pretty safe with redundancy of the important libraries (the RAID1 disks, the simple copy, and my offsite copy). Would like to get opinions, as this is the area where I am most concerned.

I had not thought of trying to upgrade to Yosemite with the new card, and if anyone has some thoughts/experience, that would be great to know. I plan on a new install of the OS and apps, btw.

sorry for the length, I just wanted to be thorough. All comments are welcome, even if you want to second guess my setup (I am sure I will with Bravo Foxtrot coming in less than a week)!

2. Xzag thread starter macrumors member