Changing RAM and HD in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fireball360, Jun 8, 2009.

1. fireball360 macrumors member

Does anybody know if the RAM and Hard Drive can still be replaced by users in the new MacBook Pro?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They can in the old 17". The whole bottom plate just comes off. Note that you cannot replace the battery despite the fact that this gives you access to it, because Apple says so.

3. kidtronix macrumors regular

I came here to ask the same thing... I feel like I heard that with the new 17", which has the same battery as the new 15", you cannot replace the memory and harddrive...

I guess we won't know how the new 15" are until we see them tomorrow? Apple Store in SoHo said they'll have them in the morning...

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

You can replace the HD, and it doesn't void the warranty, as long as you don't damage anything and replace it with the old HD if it needs to be repaired.

5. kidtronix macrumors regular

Thanks. Is it as easy as the previous Uni models?

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The 17inch model is as easy as unscrewing the bottom as the only extra step.

7. kidtronix macrumors regular

8. reubs macrumors 68000

I asked one of the Apple.com reps via chat, and they assured me that both RAM and HD were user-replaceable w/o voiding the warranty, and that was good to hear. Now if only 4 GB sticks of RAM would come down in price it would be great; to add 8 GB as a BTO is $1000!