Changing Ram precautions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazyman, Dec 1, 2012.

1. lazyman macrumors newbie

So I finally got my shipment of RAM. I've never upgraded RAM I've changed changed wireless adapters and such so I don't know if it's any different. Because of this I watched a video on how to change the RAM on a macbook pro.

In the video the person uses a anti-static mat and anti-static wrist-band. Do I need these(and is there anything else I need in order to change the RAM)? I wish I knew sooner as I saw the apple website and I think they just recommend touching a metal surface. If I knew sooner I could have order everything together.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Anti-static is always a good precaution, but you should be OK with touching a metal surface.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just touch a grounded metal surface to discharge any static electricity.

4. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

You'll be fine but be careful, esp. now in winter when air is dry and it is easier to accumulate static electricity on your body. Just touch something grounded before, i.e. radiator, if you really want to be sure. I personally don't, never did and never had a problem in my 15 years of 'messing' with computer hardware...

Oh yeah, and unplug the battery before removing and plugging in RAM sticks.

5. lazyman thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should unplug the battery as in the charger right?(I already did that but I just wanted to make sure you mean this as opposed to removing the actual battery)

Also what would constitute as a grounded metal surface? Touching the metal parts of the laptop?(I'm reading that this doesn't count unless the power supply is plugged in)

Thank you guys for being helpful in my learning process.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That isn't necessary as long as you turn the computer off before you start working on it. I don't believe it is something the Apple instructions even address

7. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

I only remember that from iFixit RAM installation instructions. But you are probably right, not necessary;)

----------

See the iFixit website for Macbook Pro repair manuals, or OWC Install Videos. Hope it helps;)

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I never unplugged a battery to exchange RAM. It should be off that is all.
    Work barefoot or in socks and you won't even have to discharge yourself.

9. lazyman thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw the video thanks. The computer is turned off and I have the charger unplugged, do I still need to remove the battery connection from within?

I'm reading from macsales.com/static that if I use the actual laptop metal parts I will need to plug into a properly grounded outlet(what does this mean?) Is there other grounded objects that I should use instead?(How do I know what is grounded, or what I should use to discharge?) Thanks.

10. SupadudeX macrumors member

Just touch the case/chassis before touching the electronics and you'll be fine.

I work with electronics everyday and never wear anti static anything. Just get into the habit of touching the chassis with your left hand before you touch anything with your right.

11. lazyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, which part is the chassis? The case as in the lids the cover the interiors?

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The outside.
    You are overcomplicating things. Discharging static is really easy and fast. Touch something like the floor before you start working. Pickup the screw driver and first it make it touch your radiator or something. Nothing more is needed.
    If you touched the radiator and your didn't feel anything you probably didn't have any static build up worth the trouble anyway. It is just a precaution.
    It CAN happen that if you wear the wrong cloths and touch the wrong part before anything else you can burn curcuits. You really have to be a genius to manage because in most cases it is really hard to not discharge before you disassembled enough to reach the trick parts.
    Just don't open the case. Walk away do a work out in your nylon clothes and then come back and remove the ram modules with your hands.
    Honestly one really require a few bad decisions to get where the danger lies.

13. lazyman thread starter macrumors newbie

I just replaced it and I think it works. I opened it after adding the memory and I was afraid as it didn't open as fast as usual and there was a flash or something. Then I got to log in and I checked. I saw 16 GB. Thank you guys! The big issue that I had was the screwdriver. I did not anticipate not really having the right one in my set. I had to use another one that was really cheap.

14. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Sweet... Easy, isn't it?

Now, go read this: MemTest for Mac OS X Tests your RAM, install Memtest, and run it a few times ;)

15. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I ran "memtest 2" and I don't have any mistakes, is it necesary to run again more times?

16. lazyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I ran the test. It came out okay and I have the same question. Do we do it multiple times or is once enough?

17. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

2x minimum, 5x if you're the type to wear both a belt and suspenders.

18. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

^^^ Great advice :cool: ... :D:D:D