Changing RAM, worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SanderH, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SanderH macrumors member

I'm completely new to this forum, so hi2u from Belgium.

In a couple of weeks I'll probably purchase a MBP 13" (my first mac :eek:). I'm going for the 2.26 GHZ 13", but I want to add 2GB to the standard 2GB.

Since Apple charges 90 EUR extra for the 4GB version I'm thinking about installing the RAM myself.
    The thing is that the cheapest 4GB ram with the same specifications is 'just' 25 EUR cheaper (shipping included).

Now my question to you is: is it really worth the effort? Ordering the ram, opening my macbook (I've heard it isn't as asy now since they've done something with the case).

Won't I be better of I just order it at Apple or SHOULD I just order the standard MBP, buy some RAM, install it and eventually end up with 25 EUR I've just saved + a set of backup-RAM chips.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

It's up to you really. Either you buy the RAM on your own from Crucial or newegg, save about 25 EUR, and have your back RAM that you can potentially sell.

Or you can pay the extra 25 EURO to avoid the hassle.

Personally, I'd just buy the RAM on my own, and use the 25 EUR to buy myself a mouse or something else. "just 25 EUR " is still 25 EUR saved that you can spend on something else. :)

3. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Upgrade the ram yourself, its quite easy, and not much effort at all + you save money!

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Good luck on getting your first Mac. One additional reason to upgrade the RAM yourself, beyond the €25 savings, depends on how you are buying your Mac. If you buy online it doesn't really matter as much but if you go to an Apple store you are limited to the configurations they stock. So I bought my first mini online since I had heard they were a pain to open up. I ended up opening it anyway to upgrade the CoreDuo CPU to a Core2Duo and found they weren't that bad to open. So when I recently got one of the new ones with NVIDIA graphics I just bought the stock 1GB version at a local Apple store and ordered 4GB online from Crucial and upgraded myself.

5. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Just did it - it is extremely easy, especially if you have ever replaced it before - if not it is still easy - plenty of video and picture examples to guide you if you are nervous.

6. Nasty Roo macrumors member

:) +1

It is so, so easy. Youtube it if you're having any reservations about the process.

7. oregon2 macrumors regular

Yeah, it's maybe ten minutes if you know what you're doing, MAYBE half an hour if you don't. Probably less in both cases.

8. SanderH thread starter macrumors member

9. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

The process is very easy. No sweat, I promise!

:D

Also, be sure to keep the RAM that you do replace. You never know.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I sprung for the 2.53 ghz MBP and I don't regret it, but if I were getting the 2.26 i would FOR SURE upgrade the ram myself like I did on my old uMB.

Cheaper, and like said you'll have spare ram just in case.

The process on the unibodies for upgrading is really easy, don't fear the do it yourself aspect of the prospect. Its kind of fun to see whats all under the hood anyway...