Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raikun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm going to apple store, brent cross this thursday, and have phoned them up regarding this and they have told me they 'do not know yet'.

I was wondering though, from your point of view, how would you see this:

I have reserved a 32gb black phone. I did want a black but now that I've seen the white hands-on I think I would prefer it. I won't know until I go into the shop, however, and get my hands on either.

I intend to be one of the first in line. I will wake up VERY early that day and drive myself down there. I have been saving up for 2 years to buy myself this phone and I think it'd be a waste if I didn't at least put in the effort on the morning to ensure the day went well.

My only problem is, there will be two lines right? One for reservations and one for unreserved.

I'm wondering if I could line up in reserved and then when the store opens and we find out what phones they have (whether white or not is available) if they will let me swap my reservation OR will they send me to the back of the unreserved line?

And I'm worried what people will think if I bring my girlfriend with me and strategically place her at the front of the unreserved (without pushing in front of anyone ofc) and if they told me I needed to be unreserved to get a white I just swapped places with her (she wants a black one anyway but hasn't reserved)?
Would you be pissed off at me? In the end I didn't skip any lines and it's not like you moved back any number of places, and it's not like I didn't wait for the same time as you

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
I can safely say don't worry because there ain't gonna be no while iphone 4 at the launch. You can still believe otherwise, but I really really don't think you'll see the white ones this time around. So build your strategy only with black ones in mind.

Raikun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
yeah but even with that in mind, just saying, would you be pissed if someone swapped places between the reserved line and unreserved?

Raikun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
The scenarios are these:

1) I line up in unreserved, they let reserved people change to white iphones, I miss out on white iphone

2) I line up in reserved, they don't let you change reservation, i get sent back to back of unreserved and miss out on white iphone

3) I line up in reserved, they let you change, I get white iphone

4) I line up in unreserved, they don't let people change, I'm first in line and I get white iphone.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Well, you could ask the people at your Apple store, they are the ones who most likely will know (but in the end it depends on which employee you end up dealing with the day of release).

It may be that you will just have to take your chances and find out. I'm not sure they'll let your gf use your reserve (I think that's the sticking point in switching places with her).

Honestly, I don't think it will be an option for you anyways as I really don't think they are going to have white iphones. If they didn't think they'd have them 9 days ago I fail to see what in 9 days would change the availability. You gotta remember they'd have had to have gotten them made before they shipped them out even so they'd have to suddenly be able to make them in less than 9 days.

If they didn't think they'd have them 9 days ago, I think they were close enough to release day to know it wasn't going to happen. And the fact that they don't even seem to know when they will be available says to me it's some problem that definitely is going to take a lot longer than 9 days to resolve.

The only possible scenario I could see where they'd have them out release day is Apple purposely withholding it for walkins only (or maybe even walkins or reserved) but I fail to see the good business strategy in that as i don't see how it would make anyone happier with them and I see it managing to get a lot of ill will towards Apple instead.

Raikun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Well, you could ask the people at your Apple store, they are the ones who most likely will know (but in the end it depends on which employee you end up dealing with the day of release).

It may be that you will just have to take your chances and find out. I'm not sure they'll let your gf use your reserve (I think that's the sticking point in switching places with her).

Honestly, I don't think it will be an option for you anyways as I really don't think they are going to have white iphones. If they didn't think they'd have them 9 days ago I fail to see what in 9 days would change the availability. You gotta remember they'd have had to have gotten them made before they shipped them out even so they'd have to suddenly be able to make them in less than 9 days.

If they didn't think they'd have them 9 days ago, I think they were close enough to release day to know it wasn't going to happen.

thing is, nobody said anything about them not having them in store.

2 years ago for the 3g this was the same situation and only the apple store had white, nobody else did, because of shortages.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
thing is, nobody said anything about them not having them in store.

2 years ago for the 3g this was the same situation and only the apple store had white, nobody else did, because of shortages.

See my edited response above (I edited it before I saw your reply).

And if what you say is true I'd have to say that was an a**holish move on Apple's part if they did not tell people they only were going to have the white phones at their stores (cause you'd get people who would decide to go with the black just to get their phone who would have held off otherwise if they'd been told).

Not that I honestly care, I really don't understand the allure of white electronics, particularly white electronics that have screens. A screen should be framed by a dark color, preferabley black (cause black is neutral) cause it makes the colors pop out a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.