Changing Ring Tone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheCanadianJD, Oct 18, 2017.

1. TheCanadianJD macrumors newbie

TheCanadianJD

Is there a way to set your IPhone so that when it receives a text from a number that begins with say 123... that it will have a different ringtone than normal? The reason I'm asking is because my FD gets sent our calls through our phones and each new call is a different random number but they always begin with the same first 3 digits. I would like to change it so that my IPhone would have a set ringtone for when it receives a message from a number that begins with the 3 digits that correspond to my fire calls. That way I could have a really loud alarm for that without having a loud alarm for all my text messages.

2. Thaddeuz macrumors member

I remember you had to pay for that. But I did it in some illegal way by changing file types etc.
    I googled alot back then. I dont remember anything sadly

Was on a iphone 5 or 6 though

3. TheCanadianJD thread starter macrumors newbie

TheCanadianJD

Well my IPhone is a 5

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I doubt even jailbreaking would allow that. What you want is very specific. I don't think even when I rooted my Androids, I had that much control over ringtones. If it was just one specific number, you could make that a contact/favorite, then set ringtone.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Illegal way?

You mean by jailbreaking?

If so, sorry to tell you the Librarian of Congress says jailbreaking is legal for iPhones and iPads.

7. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

There are 10,000 possible combinations when using 4 digits, such as the last 4 in a phone number. So you could create a contact with those 10,000 possible numbers and give that contact a unique ring tone.

Not trying to be sarcastic. It could be done, but you would need to create, or have some one create, an app that would generate all the combinations.