Changing ringtones plays through main speaker even on vibrate...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcphoenix, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jcphoenix macrumors member

jcphoenix

So I had my iPhone 4 set on Vibrate today with headphones plugged in on the bus. I start testing out a few song ringtones I had just created, thinking I would assign some of my contacts various ringtones.

A minute later, the guy in front of me (who clearly doesn't speak too much English) turns around and says something so I pull down my headphones to see what he wants. He just barks out "Too loud!" and turns back around.

I'm puzzled as hell cause I know it's on half-volume and my headphones even at max volume can barely be heard in the open.

I conclude the guy is just probably extra-sensitive/anal about little bits of sound so I move to the back of the bus and think no more of it.

Now at work, I just tried fiddling with my ringtones again with the headphones plugged in - but I happened to have the headphones off and heard the sound coming through the main iPhone speakers, even though it is again on "vibrate". So obviously, the sound was coming through loud and clear through the iPhone speakers and my headphones on the bus which was why the guy was complaining. Now I feel pretty embarrassed about the whole situation.

What gives? I tried this on my buddy's iPhone as well and it does the same thing. It works fine when you actually get a call (it'll just play through the speakers if it's on vibrate) but while you're assigning rings and changing ringtones, it'll blast out of the main speakers regardless of whether you have it set on vibrate and have headphones in or not.

I'm assuming this is a flaw and not something intentional cause there's no reason for it. Anyone know if this will be fixed for the next iOS? I want to change my ringtones now for example, but I can't even do it at work because no matter what, it'll play through the main speaker.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Turn the volume down low before you change your ringtones.

3. apmorency macrumors regular

I found that out the hard way.
    I was messing around with ringtones with the headphone on after my wife had gone to bed. She stomped down the stairs with a big "WTF are you doing! ?" :D

4. jcphoenix thread starter macrumors member

jcphoenix

That would work except people here are *really* anal about any remote noise. It's all open cubicles as well and almost dead silent on my floor most of the time so even at the lowest volume, it travels to the cubicle across from me (and the lady who works there is uber-anal about noise...our division has had some spats with her division because I do video-work which inevitably will include some screenings in my cube).

It's not a huge deal but I can't imagine it would be hard to fix for Apple. And it would stop some of these embarrassing situations some of us find ourselves in.

apmorency - hahah I'm glad for you at least that you weren't in a public area. Though 'mad wife' has its downs as well :p. I guess the silver lining on this is thankfully I realized it quickly at work. The lady across from me would have had a conniption if I hadn't caught it so quickly.