Changing root - mobile terminal quits, computer can't do it either

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Edit: If you download the rock app and launch it, it lets you change your root pass :)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Ok if you're asking why to change root read this http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/iphone-tips/how-to-change-the-iphones-root-password

But I'm trying to, and downloaded mobile terminal and when I launch it, it appears for 2 seconds then just quits. I've reinstalled, rebooted phone, still does it.

So I thought I'd use my terminal on computer to connect to my iphone through wifi. They're both on my uni's wifi network. It said connection refused?

Should I use mywi to create a network and then once tethered try to connect?
Yes the current MobileTerminal on Cydia doesn't work with iOS4 yet...

I managed to do it from my OSX Terminal however...
I am NOT on my Uni's wifi network but I'm on my own network at home. Maybe you should do it from your own router or setup an adhoc network from your computer that your iphone connects to.... (or as you mentioned, with MyWi)

Just FYI for other people who is reading the thread and wondering how to do this from your computer

SSH into the phone

ssh root@<ipaddress>
login password: alpine

Then type in the following command...
type new password twice

Lansing

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Phoenix
Also, don't forget to su into the mobile user and change it's password as well. (su - mobile when your in as root)

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I'm getting the following error on terminal, when I have mywi on (I'm on it right now using the IP)

ssh: Could not resolve hostname root: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
What I did on Windows to change my root and mobile password.

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
2) Google for PuTTY and install onto your computer.
3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring the phone.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Is there a program like putty I can use for the mac?

I don't get why I can't connect to my phone :(

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Anyone have a suggestion? Is there a "wired" way I can do this on computer?

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I downloaded "iphone explorer" and now see a folder labeled "Root".

Inside of it are folders labeled such as:

Applications
bin
boot
cores
dev
Developer
etc
lib
Library
mnt
private
sbin
System
tmp
User
usr
var

And some files such as

.file
.rockapp.consisten...
.gsc.720p

Ect.

Any way I can change the root with this?

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
What I did on Windows to change my root and mobile password.

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
2) Google for PuTTY and install onto your computer.
3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring the phone.
You rock.