Changing search options...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by megatronbomb, Dec 21, 2007.

1. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

So let's say I'm in a folder and click in the little search box up in the right corner, the finder window automatically basically switches from that folder and shows me results for the entire machine. I swear the finder window limited the search to the folder you were in, in Tiger. Is there a way to make this the default behaviour?

Example: I'm in documents, type in 'cold war paper' and rather than limiting the search to documents I get tossed back to 'this mac'.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

your have to click the name of the folder in quotation marks next to this mac on the search bar that pops down. i dont think that you can make this behaviour default. although you can do this with pathfinder which is a finder equivalent if you wanna look into that.

3. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Yeah, I know if you click on the folder it does it, but it just seems counterproductive. Eh.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think panther used to do this before spotlight came in tiger. but i guess thats wats spotlights all about searching your whole "computer" in an instant.

leopard tried to make this behaviour better by not showing system files in spotlight by default to make the search results a bit easier. this made spotlight even more counter productive for me as i mostly use spotlight to search system files because i cbf looking for them. now i have to add a "system files - include" criteria in finder search which is pretty annoying.

5. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

I agree.. I find this very annoying as well. There should be an options menu where you could define where you would like to search first..