Changing setup...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sebbonny, May 6, 2009.

1. Sebbonny macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I currently own a 2.4 Macbook White (previous generation) and an alu 2.4 20" iMac. I was thinking about a power boost.

The new macbook pro 15" (not sure which version) with an upgrade to 4 gigs of ram and the new LED ACD seems a good option.

I'm using my macs for programming and (web)design (Adobe CS4, Flex Builder,...), and I was wondering if the macbook pro with 2.4 processor would be enough and if my new setup would be a good idea.

I decided to switch to a single computer because I don't feel the profit of having two anymore. I wan't to stay mobile, let's say I wan't to use my computer anywhere in the house, but I need a big screen as well.

What are your opinions about this?

By the way, I think it's a good strategy to wait until WWDC to buy new stuff, because a MBP certainly is a longterm buy.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The route you want (not wan't) to go might actually be okay.

The current MBPs are powerhorses and will suffice plenty.
    WWDC might not hold an update (it hasn't been an event for updates of the mobile Macs in a while (if ever)). The next update is expected in october or november, but Apple may surprise us.

3. Sebbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.
    You're right about the WWDC, but just in case I'll wait :-D

What about the hard disk, do you really feel the difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wait as long as you can, if you don't need it right now.
    Apple has a special education program starting in June I think, with buying a Mac and getting a free iPod Touch.

5. Sebbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure this program will run in Belgium... ;)

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Even if it did, it likely wouldn't be in June.

Anyway, unless you're running out of memory right now you will see no benefit to getting 4GB RAM. I am a web developer too and I am perfectly happy with 2GB.

As for the MacBook Pro, it won't make much performance increase at all - the 2.4GHz processor in the new model will be marginally faster than the one in your MacBook, and the GPU won't help much either.

7. Sebbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

so you're saying to keep everything as it is?

As I said I would like to switch to only one computer, because I don't feel the benifits of 2 computers anymore, and since the new ACD only works on the new macbooks...

Also I'm not satisfied with the displays of both the iMac and the Macbook, gradients aren't displayed like they should be.

8. seven7seven macrumors regular

Have you thought about an external monitor and running dual monitors?
    You can probably get a really nice 24" screen for relatively cheap.

9. Sebbonny thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but i would really like to have the 24" led acd! ;-)