Changing short name/ home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikefly, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

heya,

just reinstalled tiger to clear up the bugs I was having... in the process of re-installing everything, and realized that my home name was my full name...

switched it to what I wanted, but of course you can't do that.

Can't remember what I did last time to solve this issue, but advice is appreciated... I definitely do want to change the name, and I don't mind losing the preferences I've set up thus far.

I tried searching, but my frazzled brain can't deal with the 8000 topics to look through. -- if your searching is cleaner than mine, I'm happy to look at an old answer to this question.

Thanks,

Mike

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

4. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

hey,

d/led app, but it plainly says... if you just created user, then, create new account and delete old one.

I've done this, and it doesn't work.

SIMPLE solution would be best. -- have just done the reinstall to avoid extra issues.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What it is saying is that if you haven't done anything to your user account the easiest way to change the name is just to create a new one and delete the old one. If you have done things to the old account and don't want to start from scratch again then use the app.

6. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

anyhow, ran the program as I'm getting a headache. -- name changed, hopefully all will be fine -- their warnings didn't really apply to my setup, as it's a fresh account.

when i simply renamed the folder, it kept saving things to the original shortname user. - hence the need for a more complete solution.

Thanks,

mike