Changing Sidebar icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j0ebeer, Jun 14, 2007.

1. j0ebeer macrumors member

OK, I give up. How can you change the sidebar icons? For example, I'm looking at my Home folder and there are icons for My Pictures and My Sites. I find an icon I like and then change it via the Get Info command and the icon looks correct. But when I drag the folder to the sidebar pane the icon changes to something else. And I can't seem to locate where to change that icon. Anyone know the secret here? Thanks, Joe

2. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Drag the folder to the sidebar pane, then you can right-click > Get Info on the sidebar Alias. Do the Get Info command from there, and all should work fine.

3. j0ebeer thread starter macrumors member

Same results. It's like there's a different icon associated with that view.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

There *is* a different "Home" folder icon associated with the Finder's Sidebar (same goes for the Applications folder), and no matter how much copy/pasting you do you're not going to get it to change. For some reason it's not a problem with the other folders in the Home directory that have custom sidebar icons.

You have to use software like CandyBar to change it.

5. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

Alternatively, you can use LiteIcon. It's free, but lacks some of the advanced features of CandyBar, such as replacing application icons and their respective filetypes.

It's basic, but it works.

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So Im have a similar question. I want to change an icon in the sidebar.

I have two hard drives, and and have the "downloads" folder in the non-boot drive. Because of this, when I drag the downloads folder to the sidebar, it just has the normal folder icon (even though the actual folder is the same icon as the downloads folder).

How do I go about changing the icon to something else, or getting the system to identify this as the default downloads folder?