changing sim card issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by csw43, Feb 18, 2011.

1. csw43 macrumors newbie

csw43

Im new to iphones having been an Android user for the last two years and while i am generally very happy with IOS i am curious about this issue i have and was wondering if anybody could help or advise.
    About a month ago i purchased a used 32gb iphone locked to the Orange UK carrier, i got the handset home, cut down my sim card to micro sim size and connected to itunes and activated the phone....no problems at all. I also had micro sim lying around from an ipad i had that was from O2 UK and decided to try that in the iphone ( why i dont know but i did) when i inserted the O2 card it came up with the connect to itunes screen (no message, just the cable/itunes screen) which i did and got full signal with that sim card. I have since tried with Tmobile UK and Vodafone UK and all sim cards work after connecting to itunes . If i take a sim card out and swap it for one of the ones previously inserted it works without connecting to itunes again....any simcard not previously used requires me to connect to itunes.
    My question is, is this normal behaviour for an unlocked iphone. It appears that my iphone is unlocked ( baseband 03.10.01 and firmware 4.2.1) i believe that this baseband is presently not able to be unlocked via the jailbreak method. I would have thought that if it is ofiicially unlocked that i could use any sim card without having to connect to itunes for the first use. I have tried restoring the phone through itunes and it still behaves in the same way.
    This presents no problem for me in any way i just want to know if this is "normal"

Thanks in advance

Craig

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

yes, this is normal.

the first time you insert any SIM into your iPhone, it will require the device to be activated in iTunes. once that SIM and iPhone combination has been activated, you dont have to repeat the process of reactivation.

3. csw43 thread starter macrumors newbie

csw43

Thank you very much for the reply and confirmation :) . So for instance if i were to travel abroad and buy a local sim card to use whilst i was there i would need to find a pc/mac to activate that sim ?

Thanks again

Craig

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

yes, just that once.

5. csw43 thread starter macrumors newbie

csw43

Thanks for clearing that up.......thought i had a problem with my iphone

Regards

Craig

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

nope. mine does it too, and i purchased mine unlocked directly from Apple.

7. csw43 thread starter macrumors newbie

csw43

Seems strange behaviour from an unlocked phone if your not used to it :rolleyes: . Im used to hot swapping sim cards on the go with Android.

Thanks again though

Regards

Craig

8. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

its to prevent someone stealing your phone, swapping out the SIM, and gaining access to your iTunes account and going wild with your credit card.