Changing SIM Cards -- Issues Changing From ROGERS To FiDo

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iGuardian, Jan 23, 2009.

1. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I've been having some trouble changing the sim card of my iPhone. Advertisements in Canada imply that I should be able to use ROGERS and FiDo with my iPhone, however, I am only able to use my iPhones cellular network when my ROGERS sim card is inserted. Whenever I put in the FiDo card, the phone doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it impossible to do this? Would FiDo provide me with an "iPhone Simcard" if I asked them for one?

Thanks in advance.

iGuardian

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is locked to whatever network you bought it on. If you want to use a SIM from a different carrier you have to unlock it. That includes going from Rogers to Fido.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You would either need to get the iPhone unlocked or trade with someone that has a Fido iPhone.

4. iGuardian thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Okay, thanks for the reply.

Are there any ways I can transfer the account on FiDo to ROGERS? Or would this also be out of the question?

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

They are totally separate carriers (even if they're owned by the same company). You would have to close your Rogers account and open a Fido account. You could transfer your number, but not your account.

6. vwDavid macrumors regular

besides unlocking, is there anything that can be done, say if I want to buy a buddies old 3G iphone from ROGERS network and change it to fido for a family member to use?

Is it possible to get fido or rogers to switch an old phone. Unlocking disucssion notwithstanding?

thanks