Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
So I tried changing the tones on my phone for my SMS. I replaced the original tones with 5 custom tones which all work fine when going into the settings app. I can hear all of them correctly and I even changed the labels by editing the sound.strings file in Applications/preferences.app/english.lproj.

Issue I'm having now is that now, whenever I receive a SMS, I get no sound as well as no notification that an SMS was received. I'm currently using Notifier+ for my notification on my lockscreen and it has been working perfectly prior to all these changes I made.

I tried reverting the changes back to what they originally were and resprung however I'm still getting no tones whenever I receive an SMS. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong here?

Thanks.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
So I tried changing the tones on my phone for my SMS. I replaced the original tones with 5 custom tones which all work fine when going into the settings app. I can hear all of them correctly and I even changed the labels by editing the sound.strings file in Applications/preferences.app/english.lproj.

Issue I'm having now is that now, whenever I receive a SMS, I get no sound as well as no notification that an SMS was received. I'm currently using Notifier+ for my notification on my lockscreen and it has been working perfectly prior to all these changes I made.

I tried reverting the changes back to what they originally were and resprung however I'm still getting no tones whenever I receive an SMS. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Funny something similar happened to me last night and today. I was using the apple sms app and lockinfo with status bar notifications. Today I started not receiving notifications, badges or lockinfo status bar icons when I recieved sms messages. I also have also had some custom sms tones setup through winterboard which worked fine before. I decided to install bitesms to see if that would fix the problem and it did not - I still was not recieving sms notifications or badges. I changed a lot of settings (auto preview, sms 'ringtones', etc.) around and also decided to unistall Shrink and it suddently started working and now everything seems fine. I want to point the finger at Shrink for causing the problems but I am not sure if unistalling it fixed the problem or just playing with settings fixed it. I also installed Pull to Refresh - mail tweak yesterday and unstalled today but I don't think that is related.
Do you have Shrink installed - maybe try uninstalling it...

...and why have I not been using Bitesms - it is simply awesome. Wow...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Don't think it's because of any app (at least I hope it's not). I'm guessing I fubar'd the sounds.strings or something that's causing all this :confused:

smokescreen220

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
California Native
did you name them properly, and place them in the proper directory?

sms-received1.caf,
sms-received2.caf,
ect...

They need to be named the same as the originals, and will show up under the tones as the original names...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
did you name them properly, and place them in the proper directory?

sms-received1.caf,
sms-received2.caf,
ect...

They need to be named the same as the originals, and will show up under the tones as the original names...

All named correctly;
sms-received1-6

All .caf files too

all placed in system/library/audio/uisounds <-Is this the right place to put them?

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Don't think it's because of any app (at least I hope it's not). I'm guessing I fubar'd the sounds.strings or something that's causing all this :confused:

You might be right although at first I thought I my sms sounds in WB were the culprit and it turned out to be app related. It sounds like sounds.string may not be the problem since you also are not getting status bar icons (?and the badge is not showing up when you get sms messages?). That seems like it is beyond the sound problem unless a problem with sounds will also affect other aspects of sms notifications. If you have not already, try turning show preview on (or off) in the settings>messages screen and also try changing the sms sound in the settings>sounds screen. I played around with those, rebooted and it started working (I removed shrink at the same time so I am not sure what exactly fixed the problem).
Good luck - I hope you get it sorted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.