Changing song info in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hushmartin, Feb 8, 2010.

1. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I know *how* to do this, by going to "get info", and I have done it before. But, for some reason I *can't* actually do it anymore. When I select a group of songs to change info on, it acts like its going to work but then does nothing. When I select a single item, the get info tab is completely grayed out, nothing can be clicked on or changed. I have tried checking the song outside of iTunes to make sure it isn't read only or anything and I haven't found any issues with that. None of these should have any copy protection, they've all been ripped from cd or downloaded.

The only way I have been able to change anything so far is to convert the mp3 to AAC. I really don't want to have to convert the whole library. What is wrong with this?? How do I fix it?

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

It could be that your mp3 files don't have ID3 tags currently (or more likely have an old version of them), you may have to use a third party utility to change the ID3 tags to v2.3 (or whatever is the current version)

3. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, but id3 tags are definitely NOT the problem. I checked, I cannot edit songs that have current (2.3) tags. If this were the problem, I would at least be able to edit *some* songs, but I'm unable to edit ANY songs.

Any other ideas?