Changing spelling to English UK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ditzy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Is there a way to change the settings that it uses UK English instead of US English.
    Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Open up TextEdit or Safari

Then Edit - Spelling and Grammar - Show Spelling and in the box at the bottom select British English

3. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Nice one! That's been bugging me for ages but I could never be bothered to ask :cool:

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

And in Firefox: Prefs > Advanced > General > Languages > Choose > English [en]

Still has problems with some Br spelling though eg. recognise vs reconize. Just tell FFox to learn the word by adding it to the dictionary (R-click the word).

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

With my version of FF (3.0.2) It is under Prefs > Content > Languages

The way I described orginially should be system wide with those applications that use the dictionary but as you have shown that there are some applications that need their own settings adjusted.

6. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

Thanks so much this it's been bugging me for ages.:)

7. james88 macrumors newbie

iWork

how do we change spelling settings to English UK for pages, numbers and keynote? :confused:

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Do you have British English set as the default language for OS X? Go to System Preferences > International & drag British English to the top of the list.

I Pages you can change the language for any paragraph style using the text inspector > more & changing the language in the drop-down menu. I don't find an option for changing the language in Numbers & Keynote.

9. toogoodius macrumors member

British English... DESPERATION KICKS IN!!

Dear all,

it seems that to make my Mac speak British English I should have it set as 'British English' in the list of languages under 'International' in the 'Personal' section of the system preferences.

But my Mac does not have an option for 'British English' and only has 'English'. Please somebody help me before I throw the stupid machine at the wall!

I am using a Macbook and I have the Leopard OS.

As I say, I want the system to speak British and not to have to set every individual program...

cheers!

10. william1949 macrumors member

Go to "Language & Text" in System Preferences - click on Edit List - I think you will find that British English is not check and that is why it is not showing up.

11. toogoodius macrumors member

Still no joy

Hey William

thanks for replying. But I'm still having no luck. I do not have "Language & Text" in my System Preferences!

I have an option for 'International'. Language is there (but not text) and there is only 'English' and not 'British English'.

I have taken a screenshot and I hope you can see it ok.

Any more ideas will be gratefully received.

cheers
    colin

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=5296007&id=607560907[/IMG]

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Press "edit list" and it will bring up a list of all available languages.

Then find British English and mark the checkbox next to that. Then British English will appear in the main list there. Then drag it to the top. You should then log out and then back in again.

13. toogoodius macrumors member

Brilliant, thanks!

Hey xUKHCx

Thanks very much for that. I have no idea why I couldn't work that out for myself!! I just was NOT seeing it and it was driving me bonkers...

thanks again
    colin

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sometimes it is easy to miss the most obvious things. Glad that you asked the questions and found answers.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask as many questions as you want. :)

15. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

British English as in English English as in English isn't even in the list as default? Disappointing Apple.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not sure if it is in the list by default in Snow Leopard but when setting up an install it checks timezones and knows the approximate location of your mac assuming it is online (if not you tell it what area you are in) it should then set the language to the national language of that country. I have long thought this was ridiculous as many people have problems with this and it really should be just one of those things that happen for you. I have sent feedback about this many times but I imagine it is low on the list.

Ho hum.

17. toogoodius macrumors member

Yes, I agree that it's a bit strange to have to mess about with the settings to get 'British' English. Thankfully I'm sorted now but I did find it frustrating...

Actually I think it seems a very odd thing not to fix, esp if it is a common complaint, as it's a major problem if doing serious/ academic sort of writing. Do Apple not realise that it REALLY pi**es off British people?!

But thanks again for the help I received through this forum