Changing SSD - Need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grapii, Apr 11, 2011.

1. grapii macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the Mac world, and last year purchased the 17" MBP. I upgraded the internal HDD with an Intel X-25 160GB.

unfortunately space is running out on this little drive, so was looking to replace it with the Intel 320 300GB drive.

I regularly backup the machine using Time Machine.

Question, how do I setup this new drive?
    For example, on windows I would always format and re-install, just because windows is more flaky. Even if I'm upgrading OS's, I started clean. Is OS X better than this?

1. install OS X from scratch and then install all the apps/files manually? where does time machine come into this scenario?
    2. is there a smarter way in OS X that I don't know of, is there cloning options or something.

I would be grateful if someone could provide me with step by step instructions on the best way to swap the SSD's with minimal effort, but with a robust and clean HD, don't like unnecessary clutter on my HD..

Thanks
    :apple:

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

You could use either Super Duper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a 1:1 clone of your current disc and then just swap them. You could go with the whole rebuilding your system route but then unless you really want to/have all the time in the world to I'd suggest just cloning your drive. The only caveat is that these tools won't copy over any bootcamp partitions. I can't remember which app allowed you to do that though.

3. grapii thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks, are there any drawbacks from using these tools vs clean install??

4. random47 macrumors member

If your computer is running great now, then go with the cloning option.
    If not make a fresh install.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

What he said :) If you have no problems with your current setup then I'd just clone them.

6. grapii thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Machine is running sweet, so will go for the clone option.

Thanks again.