Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Can't- actually, nobody has yet. It dosn't mean it won't happen, and be a pretty cool hack. Early versions of OSX allowed for startup sound to be added via a third-party program. I currently just run an Apple script in the background, using System Prefs-->Accounts->Startup to get it going.

The best you can do is this - as found in these forums.

You could change the startup sound if you could decode the firmware and find out someway to reincode it, but from all I have read (from the 9.0 days) it's nare impossible to do.

If you find out otherwise, please post. I really hope to be corrected (for anything other than grammer and spelling).

Cheers.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
That sound is built into the ROM. You cannot change the startup chime for any Mac, you've never been able to change the chime on any Mac in history.
Sorry.

You used to be able to add a startup sound in Classic, by adding a system 7 sound file to the extensions folder or system folder. But those days are gone now.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Rather than posting a script, just use the AppleScript program to record you lanuching Quicktime and playing a sound. I use a QT movie that masks all of the other programs I use at launch. I think it's pretty cool.

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
Eniregnat said:
Rather than posting a script, just use the AppleScript program to record you lanuching Quicktime and playing a sound. I use a QT movie that masks all of the other programs I use at launch. I think it's pretty cool.

cool guys thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.