Changing Subfolder Application icons with Candybar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LexieMSU08, Dec 5, 2008.

1. LexieMSU08 macrumors newbie

Hey guys - I want to change application icons of apps in subfolders. For some reason Candybar won't search my entire App folder for all apps in subfolders too. Normal apps in the app folder are showing up fine, but all apps in subfolders are not showing. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and can suggest an easy fix besides completely de-organizing my app folder. Thanks!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I think that is the nature of CandyBar unfortunately. When I have run into that on occasion, I just revert back to the manual way to change icons that was used before CandyBar and LiteIcon made it easier- that being (skip this if you are already aware of how! ;)):

 Use File-->Get Info on the icon you want to use and then the same on the application you want to change
     Click the small icon in the upper left corner of the icon's Get Info window to select it, then press Command+C to copy it.
     Click the small icon in the top left of the application's Get Info window to select it, then press Command+V to paste in the custom icon
     Close both windows- done.

Less convenient than using CandyBar's functionality, but infinitely better than reorganizing the whole Apps folder-- particularly since some app updaters require the apps to reside in the folders they were initially installed in.

3. LexieMSU08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that method does not work for all icons - especially ones gotten off of DeviantArt. Anyone else have any other options?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If possible, could you please give a link to some that don't work that way? All the ones I have gotten off there work, so would like to take a look at some that don't as I do a lot of icon development and would like to see what they have done (to avoid doing the same! ;))

5. LexieMSU08 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://deleket.deviantart.com/art/Christmas-XP-72885769

I know these are XP icons, which is why I can't simply copy and paste the icons over. However when Candybar applies them, they work beautifully. This isn't a huge deal, I was just curious if there is a way to get around these trivial annoying complications. Thanks!

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Did a little experimenting (cool icon set BTW) just now and it turns out that using either the "ICNS" or "PNG" (but not the "ICO") folders from that XP download you can easily make standard Mac "folder type" icons. All you need to do is download the little free utility called img2icns, then select "Folder Icon" as the selection on the simple interface where it says "Choose your format:".

Just drag and drop any number of them you want at once onto the dotted line on the interface and it will rapidly convert them to standard Mac icons which can be copied and pasted to your heart's content.

Cool little program to do something that would take several steps using some other icon building programs I use!

BTW- It will also make folder type icons out of photos that are dragged onto it too- and previously I had thought that was all it did, so am glad this subject came up! :D

7. LexieMSU08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thank you so much for working that out! I'm glad it benefited you also :) Have a good holiday season!