Changing the appearance/layout of OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noswears, Jun 23, 2009.

1. noswears macrumors newbie

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes....

I really don't like Macs. I'm being forced to use one for school, but I really dislike OS X - the appearance, the layout, the way it handles windows, everything. I was wondering if there were any programs available to make it a bit more like Windows XP/Vista, or even Ubuntu/Gentoo/other Linux variant?

Thanks.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

There is no such program currently available.

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I heard that there is someway you can get Gnome/KDE/etc running on Mac OS X if you have X11 installed. However, I've never tried it and I might have just pulled it out my arse :p

4. noswears thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks.

EDIT: awesome, I'll look into getting GNOME/KDE running.

5. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Or you could just get used to it. I'm a recent switcher too, and whilst I had a few huh? moments to start with, you go back to windows and think why it doesn't work more like OS X.

6. noswears thread starter macrumors newbie

True. I've been using a Mac since October last year and I still don't like it much, but there are some features (quick look, spotlight) that I really like and maybe I'll get used to everything else eventually.

7. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Try keyboard shortcuts, and Exposé. Maybe have a browse through TUAW's Mac 101, they're bound to help a little.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

http://www.finkproject.org/

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can add the apps folder into the dock to make it launch apps.

No, there is no way to make OSX so that you have to press "start" to "shut down" the computer.

Perhaps learn how it works? Lots of people voluntarily pay more to get the superior os.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd rather just install Quicksilver in userland for an application launcher. You'll be hard pressed to change the window environment in OS X.

Stacks and the Dock vary on their usability. It's all a matter of opinion though.