Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyloBedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Well the back on my iphone 3g has a big crack down the back and I was wondering if there is a website I could order a replacement.

thanks

gerbort

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Its not as simple as you think unless you're good at taking the whole phone appart and putting all the components on the new case.

There are repair companies out there that will do this tedious repair for you. It's definitely not something I would do, or advise a newbie to do. Check out http://www.ifixyouri.com They do good work, and i'm pretty sure they do full iPhone repairs/parts replacement.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Actually, I don't think it's that difficult. A friend of mine ordered a back for his 2G, and successfully replaced it. He said it was not very difficult. He recommends using a loupe and making sure you have the proper tools for the tiny screws, and don't loose them like he did!

The back comes with the attached switches. That was actually his reason for replacing the back - the ringer switch had been damaged in a fall and no longer worked. He paid something like $90 on eBay for the back. I thought that was pricey, but it was fully refurbished (all new switches).

In general, serviceability is better with newer iPhones, at least as far as what I have read. My friend commented that after seeing how it's put together, he wouldn't attempt a glass replacement on a 2G, but the back was a snap.

CupertinoiPhone

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Cupertino, CA
Do not change the Back Case - It is still better than Fake cases in the Market

To change a back on 2G is quite simple, hardly takes 5 minutes.
To change the back for iPhone 3G/S is totally different story, you have to take out each & every component in your iPhone.

-Ganesh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.