changing the default back up schedule of time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jus407, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jus407 macrumors member

OK so I FINALLY got time capsule set up (500GB) and now i am getting tired of having it back up hourly, is there ANY WAY to get it to stop doing that and just let it back up daily?

thank you for any help

2. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have not found a way to stop the hourly backups, so when I want to stop them I open Time Machine Preferences and turn Time Machine off. Anyway, I don't worry much about the hourly backups. They are usually not very large and only take two or three minutes from start to finish

3. jus407 thread starter macrumors member

well the thing is ever since i installed time capsule my computer has taken about 2 minutes to star-up, compared to 30 seconds before hand... i dont know whats causing it i thought it was just because time capsule was taking up all the resources but now im not sure... any ideas???

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I understand your frustration, that does seem way too slow. What kind of computer are you using with your TC? My MB Pro’s responsiveness seems to be essentially unaffected by Time Machine incremental backups.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

Same here, no change in bootup or TM length. Unless I download 10 gigs into my home directory, and then delete it before the next backup. Then I see a 10 gig change. But that is to be expected.

Though I rarely reboot, and have only had the TM drive plugged in a couple of times while booting. I still did not see any change in boot time that I could measure.

6. Orthogonal macrumors newbie

Hi - New to Mac and TM/TC - I am hoping this thread is the right place to post this question...I am running Time Machine and Time Capsule but continue to have 2 persistent problems:
    1. the hourly scheduled backups won't launch automatically - I have to launch them myself via the "backup now" toolbar command
    2. although backups seem to be happening fine the process doesn't quit - instead it gets stuck in a "finishing backup" state that I van only get out of by quitting the backup (with no apparent loss of data).
    Any thoughts?

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Leave it alone to do its thing without intervening and see what happens. Mine doesn't do backups every hour on the hour. It sometimes waits 2 hours, apparently depending on how much dicking around I've done and what may or may not have changed in my files. Sometimes "finishing backup" takes longer than I think it should, but it always does finish.

8. Orthogonal macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    Will leave it to run overnight.
    I have Norton Anti-Virus running on my MBP although i've excluded Backups.backupdb from auto file scan.
    Are you aware of any known problems that are causing this behavior?
    Thx

9. jus407 thread starter macrumors member

well i ended up erasing and reinstalling mac os x on my mbp (4,1) and then updated it with the most current Time Capsule backup and everything is back to normal backing up properly and booting up quickly dont know what caused it but its fixed...

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Norton is Mac hell. That's where your problem lies. I've seen it on more than one Mac forum.

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That’s good news. I hadn’t heard of much trouble with Time Machine but TCs seem to have a lot of configuration issues. For example, my TC didn’t settle down and start to work consistently until last weekend, when I finally found a network configuration that it liked. Fortunately, Time Machine has worked well from the beginning, both with the TC, and with a FireWire drive, before that.

12. Mmaton macrumors newbie

Disk permissions

Your disk permissions might be causing this, therefore, try this:

Do a verify disk permissions in Disk Utility.

Then do a repair disk permissions

Reboot...

anything happen?

13. hmai18 macrumors 6502

14. Mr Badger macrumors newbie

Time Machine Interval editor

I changed the intervals to once every day by running this little app http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Worked like a dream for me. It doesn't change the Time Machine control panel at all so it still says back-ups are hourly...but they're not, they're once every 24 hours. Avoids having to edit system files which puts the fear of omnipotent beings in me.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Another vote for timemachineeditor...I've been using it for 4 months now - setting TM to back up once a day - with no problems