changing the desktop theme

Discussion in 'macOS' started by muck, Mar 11, 2009.

1. muck macrumors newbie

I am looking to see if there is a program(s) out there to change OS X desktop theme. Mainly how the tool bar looks/acts.

I want my kids to start using my G4 and they have no concept of where to look for the apps folder or how it works. They are used to Window and Ubuntu.
    I like how Ubuntu has programs ot change how the tool bar acts. I was hoping to change the mac a little.

Also off the base of this thread, coming from a Windows and Linux past, is it an issue if my kids just click the red X instead of using the File/quit method to close programs? I see the menu bar still exists when they just hit the X....

thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Use Command+Q to quit programs.

Magnifique can be used to have themes in Leopard.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Clicking the red X doesn't quit the program, and unless you are prepared to do some serious digging and coding it can't be changed to do so. If you don't Quit and wind up with several dozen apps open, it'll make your Mac run quite slow.

4. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Yep! And while the software is a little buggy sometimes, it works perfectly fine and is well into development. :)

A couple of shortcuts that are good to get into the habit of using are right-clicking the icon in the dock, and choosing Quit from there. Or, of course, the Command + Q always works. And maybe you would want to make the cursor a little larger? That's always in the Accessibility options.

Also, take a look at http://www.kidzui.com/. I've seen this for a while and never got the chance to download it and check it out. Seems like a very neat way to get your kids into using and getting to know the computer and the internet. :D

Actually, if the application isn't up and active, OS X is smart enough to manage memory away from the inactive applications. But while it does save some RAM, it's still smart to just give everything a good wipe-down and quit things you're not using. Sometimes I find myself in a spot where I only have 2-3 applications active, but my dock is all filled up.