Changing the Dock and Wallpaper on the Home Screen Manually

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by donm3ga, Oct 28, 2008.

1. donm3ga macrumors member

I would like to make my dock transparent or atleast change it with a custom one. I would also like to change my wallpaper on my home screen. I know I can do it through various applications like winterboard. What I was wondering is if there is another way to do that via SSHing into my phone and changing some files?

The reason being is I want a little customization, but without the "Winterboard Slowdown" effect that people have been complaining about. When I first jailbroke my phone I too noticed the slowdown and I am trying to avoid it all together this time around.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

I found where the dock is:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SBDockBG2.png

Can I just put a different .png file to override this one and it will work?

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Good question I've located the file and I'm currenlty wondering the same thing. Anyone?

EDIT: For anyone wondering. I just SSH'd a dock.png file from another theme and replaced the file "SBDockBG.png" with the dock file that I wanted. Worked great!

Screenshot for proof! ;) lol

Attached Files:

4. mstier09 macrumors regular

changing the dock, as you've seen, is pretty easy. unfortunately changing the wallpaper is a different story. The black background isn't a .png file like most theme elements on the phone so you can't just replace it with another file. The only app i know that can do this at the moment is winterboard but keep on the lookout for BossPaper! It looks awesome and should be coming out pretty soon (hopefully!)

http://thebigboss.org/2009/07/22/bosspaper-bigboss-upcoming-wallpaper-app/

check it out here.