Changing the dock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghall, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm trying to change the dock at the bottom of the iPhone homescreen to look like the one on the iPod touch, since I think it looks a lot better. I used SummerBoard, but it makes the screen scroll, which I do not want, plus I have to have the extra icon on my home screen, and if I delete SummerBoard the iPhone gets screwed up and I have to restore.

Is there another way I can get the iPod touch style dock onto the iPhone?

2. Kchino macrumors member

Go to modmyiphone and search in the forums there you'll find tutorials, images, etc.

3. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

they have a new theme for summerboard called touch, install it... and u will have what u want

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I did. But I don't like having that extra app on there.

I found a dock image, now I just need to figure out how to get it on. How can I access the iPhone's file system?

5. one1 macrumors 65816

You can't because you don't want another app on there. If you did, you'd be using mobile finder to run through your file system. As far as interaction, Ibrickr if you're on windows and several others if you're on mac.

I'd suggest skipping all this hassle and installing rsbt to hide your icons and prevent scrolling.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

What's a good one for Mac?

I don't want to download any old program and use it, because I don't want to take any chances.

7. one1 macrumors 65816

By the way another option would have just been to use RSBT and go into settings on spring board and choose the number of dock items and spring board items.

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

But does that keep it from scrolling?

9. one1 macrumors 65816

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

How do you take those screen shots? Just curious.

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Close....

...but no cigar: It still scrolls. :(

Attached Files:

12. one1 macrumors 65816

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

What did I do wrong?

BTW, I couldn't seem to find those settings you posted screenshots of.

14. Kchino macrumors member

Your alternative is to use ssh and scp or ftp and or transfer the files through the terminal. One1 suggested a very easy solution to what you are asking for but you'll also have to add the "Dock" application if you don't want to have your springboard scroll down.

If you look as his screenshot, rsbt allows you to hide any applications that you don't want accessible through the springboard. Dock will allow you to access any apps that are installed in the applications folder through a nice scrolling gui that stays hidden in the lower right hand corner of the springboard.

Btw, the dock app will also allow you to take screenshots and then places them in your pictures app so you can email them or whatever you like to do with screenshots.

15. one1 macrumors 65816

Be advised that dock is an extremely useful, but horribly annoying program that will almost always take screenshots when you try to reverse in the browser or delete a photo (how about that, delete one and it takes another) due to it's positioning in the lower right of the screen over the trash can in photo app. Left in landscape mode over the reverse button when browsing the web. (the two places you use the most in those two apps so you hit the darn thing every time)

16. one1 macrumors 65816

Here is what I am running on my phone. I consider this to be the most useful setup of all for total control.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I just totally fudged up my iPhone, so now I have to restore. Grr. This totally isn't worth it to me anymore, unless anyone else has any other suggestions that doesn't involve installing any apps onto the iPhone.

Watch, tomorrow Apple's going to release firmware 1.1.1 with a iPod touch dock. :rolleyes:

18. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Actually there's yet another way to get graphics on the iPhone - that that IS what the OP wants. You can install OpenSSH on the iPhone, create RSA/DSA keys on the iPhone (using MobileTerminal), then use an SFTP client such as Cyberduck or Fugu from a Mac to provide for drag and drop functionality with respect to replacing system graphic files. It also works with audio files, such as RINGTONES!!! That way, you don't have to worry about how to get iTunes to recognize your ringtones. Hacktheiphone.com has some Mac tutorials up - they're currently being rewritten due to the recent iTunes 7.4.2 upgrade.

HawaiiMacAddict

P.S. For the iPhone screenshots, hacktheiphone.com has a link to a screenshot program, but you'll have to break out the terminal and issue the actual screenshot command from the command line.

19. Kchino macrumors member

Sorry it's not working out for you, but since Apple's not big on customization you'll have either have to teach yourself how use the command line or follow the tutorials on the mod sites. You're not going to get much help here.

20. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha ghall,

You'll have to install a couple of apps on your phone if you wish to change the graphics for the springboard dock. One of the easiest ways to do that is to install:

AppTap Installer (to provide for installing other necessary programs)
    MobileTerminal (to create SSH keys)
    OpenSSH (to provide for secure FTP access to your iPhone)
    rSBT (to provide for hiding icons from the springboard)

The rSBT program will do what you want - namely, allow you to hide the AppTap Installer icon from your springboard. OpenSSH and MobileTerminal provide a secure (read: encrypted) way to transfer files to AND from your iPhone. If you want further information, just either send me a private message on the board here, or zag me an email at: HawaiiMacAddict@gmail.com

HawaiiMacAddict

21. one1 macrumors 65816

i hate to tell ya, but if something went wrong it is user error. Myself and countless others use this daily and it is a seamless app IMO. Never any problems.

22. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I know. That's why I said that I fudged it up.

Maybe I'll tackle this again tomorrow if I have time. I'll try posting on some of the iPhone hacking forums to see what I can get. Thanks for the help everyone.

23. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I use Cyberduck to access my iPhone's file system, and all I had to do was install BSD Subsystem and SSH. I don't have Mobile Terminal installed.

24. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I tried that, it didn't work. :(

25. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, I got it working exactly how I wanted it. After searching the ModMyiPhone forums I discovered that there is a new version of iFuntastic out (3.5.5) that works with iTunes 7.4.1 and later. I gave it a shot, and it works!

Watch, after all that work the next iPhone update is going to come out in like 2 days and kill all hacks forever or something.