Changing the DVD regional code!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rory.lee99, Jun 9, 2012.

1. rory.lee99 macrumors newbie

Hello!

Unfortunately, I've changed the regional code too many times on my MacBook so now I can't watch any US dvds...
    I've looked everywhere on the internet and have found lots of ideas of how to get around this problem, like using VLC but this doesn't work for me, and I really don't want to rip the dvds and then re burn them, which is another option.

I'm wondering if there is another thing I can do so I can watch my DVDs on my Macbook! And I really wonder, if so many people have this problem why does Apple let us reset the regional code?? Why is there even a limit of the amount of times you can change it??! :(

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The limit is set to 5 changes. After that you are out of luck unless you can find some obscure software that will change the firmware on the DVD drive. DVD drive makers have been forced by the content industry to make it very very hard to reset the region code. You could probably solve the problem by replacing your internal DVD drive with a new one though. Still I absolutely hate the region code nonsense; it drives people to piracy.

Have you tried an external DVD drive?

3. unixperience macrumors regular

as the other poster said 5 times is the limit imposed by the movie industry. apple just complies to it. your only real option is to get a new drive. you can put the old one in an external and then have a separate drive for each region? not a real solution more of a .... work around

4. louise1993 macrumors newbie

Can you use an external disc drive?

I have the same problem! I borrowed a DVD bought in the US, without realizing you could only change your region-code 5 times, and now I'm stuck in region 1, but I'm from Denmark, which is region 2, and it really sucks because I usually watch a lot of DVD's on my computer!

I tried downloading VLC as well, but this didn't work for me, and now I am considering buying an external disc drive, but I don't even know if it will work!

Please answer! I'm getting really frustrated here. Hate that damn region-code nonsense!

5. stashdragon macrumors newbie

Nothing Works!

I too would like to watch DVD's from other regions. The DVD in Question is from Region 3. I have tired the deleting all the contents in my DVD App Contents folder. I have also tried the VLC way but all that happens is I get a little yellow error symbol next to the title of the movie. No reason. Is there anything anyone can do.

Thank you ^_^