Changing the hard drive in a pro 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badigel, May 7, 2014.

1. badigel macrumors newbie

Hello,

The hard drive in my macbook pro 09 has broken down and I want to change it.

I was thinking about replacing it with an ssd. Will any ssd do the job or do I need to look for a specific feature?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any 2.5" SATA2/3 SSD will do the job. However there's no point going for the fastest SSD, as your MBP only has a SATA2 (3Gb/s) connection, so you're capped to around 300MB/s.

Go for something like the Crucial M4 or the M500.

3. badigel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just because you can't reach the sequential performance is SATA 3 (6Gbps), doesn't mean you have to go for a slower driver. Never drives also have faster random performance which even the fastest drives fail to saturate a fraction of their sequential speed.

You'll notice random performance more than sequential performance. Random use is day-to-day use when opening up programs, opening files, etc.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I agree with this - plus, many SATA 2 drives are just as expensive, if not more, than the SATA 3 drives due to the industry moving towards SATA 3 (sort of like how some older types of RAM are more expensive than newer types). Just about anything should work - the models by Crucial are popular as are the Samsung 840 Evos (keep an eye out for deals on Amazon, 9to5Toys, or DealNews)