Changing the Icon for files

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Cleisthenes, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Cleisthenes macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first post here!

I'm building up my films on my mac/time capsule, and want to change the icon the films poster or something to show which film it is.

I initially just dragged and dropped the small image from a google image search but I realised that doing this doesn't give you the high res version that you can get by getting the full size image and then dragging it into the finder.

When I go to delete the existing picture (the low res one) I've put to being the image icon, and then try to put a new image there, it just puts the old one back again.

My question, is there a way to have more control over what the icon is for files?

Thanks a lot, any responses are very much appreciated!

2. 0000111 macrumors member

I think drag-and-drop replacement from the Get Info pane about the item should work, unless that's the problem you're experiencing?

3. Cleisthenes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. I want to replace a custom image I have already put there.

4. 0000111 macrumors member

I tried replicating your problem... And can't even get my icon to change from the default preview file icon.

Looks like we're both in the same boat!

5. Cleisthenes thread starter macrumors newbie

It should be so simple! It's just the same as when I initially copy and paste the image but it doesn't replace it!

6. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Open the image in preview, press command a then command c. Then paste in on the icon, By doing this: first mark the file then get info by pressing command i and click on the little icon preview then press command v.

Apple has a support page explaining this.

7. Cleisthenes thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this still does solve my problem, but thank you all the same. The image still comes up as a low res image, whereas the original image is high res.

8. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Try restarting?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios