Changing the icon for my Windows partition on OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Apr 23, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

I've created a partition for Windows with Boot Camp and installed Windows 7.
    When I'm in OSX I have my main drives with custom Star Trek icons on them, the Windows partition that appears however just looks like a grey hard drive, I want to change it.

I have an icon I want to use, I want to copy and paste it onto it like you normally do. If there is no way to do this, is it possible from the Windows end?

2. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Erm... *cough* bump *cough*...

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this, it's very important to me! Thx.

3. jon08 macrumors 68000

Open Finder and look for Devices section on the left of it - your Windows partition should be displayed there, correct? Then right-click on it and "Get Info." Now drag-and-drop whichever icon you wanted your Windows partition to have in the upper left corner and replace your current Windows icon with it. That should do the trick.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Technically, the computer is listed under devices and then the drives inside of that, but my Windows partition is mounted to my desktop so I just did Get Info on that. It won't let me change the icon for it though. It comes up with a circle with a line through it (meaning NO). It's because the drive is NTFS and I only have read permissions.

Is there a way to do this in Windows 7?

5. jon08 macrumors 68000

Hm, it works just fine when I attempt to change the icon on my Win 7 partition (and it's formatted in NTFS too).... Does your icon have an .icn/.icon extension?

When you open "Get Info", what does it say under "Sharing & Permissions"? It says "You can read and write" for me...

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

jon08, do you have NTFS-3G installed by any chance?

MythicFrost, maybe you should try installing that.

8. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I was hoping not to have to do that, I'd rather find another way. If not I'll consider it, but it's a last resort. Is there anything that can go wrong if you use it?