changing the icon of..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onqun, May 11, 2007.

1. onqun macrumors member

Hey guys, is it possible to change the icon which shows up when you click the eject disc button.( triangle and rectangle)

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I'll assume you're speaking of the picture attached. Typically I'd not advocate digging around in your /System directory, but the picture is located:

/System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin/Contents/Resources/BezelUI/Images/

and it's titled eject.png. If you replace that file with a different image of the same exact name, it should use your new image the next time you press eject (you don't even need to logout). I'd advise backing up your original, though, so you have something to revert to.

EDIT, Disclaimer: While this really has no negative consequences on the stability of your Macintosh, you still do so at your own risk. The /System directory is not something that you should mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

Attached Files:

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

I'll advise you to use CandyBar when you mess around with your icons. It can change any icon on your mac using simple drag and drop, and it backs up the original in case you want to revert. It's only 12 bucks, and you can try the demo for 30 days for free.

4. onqun thread starter macrumors member

hey, i downloaded candy bar ,but when I drag an icon it changes the icon and it says restart finder it needs , i do but it is still the same icon ,but on the candy bar i can see that, it is the new one ,but when i try to eject something else it computer shows up old icon

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Except in the instance I gave CandyBar doesn't handle those images and therefore won't backup/change them for you. These aren't application icons or icons in toolbars; these are the overlays that come up when you press Volume Up/Down, Eject, etc on the keyboard.

6. onqun thread starter macrumors member

hmm, do you know any other application that can change thhe eject, volume up/down ?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

There's a photoshop plug-in that creates .icns files. You then rename the original and replace it with your new one.
    The bezel images are just .png files so you may be able to use other image Apps.
    I did a minor change so the images fitted with the rest of the UI look I had.

Attached Files:

8. NJuul macrumors 6502

Ohh.... I didn't know that.... I thought CandyBar could change all icons.