Changing the Keyboard on Unibody Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MMPascal, Mar 17, 2009.

1. MMPascal macrumors member

Hey everybody,

I am in the states right now and about to but a Mac Book Pro 17" Unibody.

Anyway ... I am going back home to Germany in summer and I might want to change the keyboard from an US to German, but I was just thinking since its a Unibody and the key spaces are pre-stamped in the aluminum is that even possible? Because I think german keyboards have more keys?

Maybe some one knows better ... and do you know how much it will be?

Thanks

2. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think it would be easier to just get the stickers. i know it sounds lame but they stay on pretty well. the German keyboard isnt that diffrent right. the 'y' and the 'z' are switched plus you have the ü, ö, ä, and the ß in there.

i speak fluent German what part are you from?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

5. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply :)

What kind of sticker are those never heard of them? So if its the same number of keys I guess it wont be a problem to change it?

Umm a friend told me if I go to Germany, no matter how old the Mac is (and since it will be just a couple month old it will look kinda brand new) they will check the keyboard and if they see the keyboard is english I might have to pay customs?

PS: I am from Hamburg, Germany original but stay in NY right now :)

6. procreative macrumors newbie

Installation is very easy you just need to be patient as it involves a couple of tiny plastic clips. Have you tried hitting up a technician at th apple store for the few replacement keys you would need? Im not sure how much they charge at the AS but if it's too expensive, I know in the US, you can also find replacement western-keys on Ebay. Im sure there is the same thing in Germany.
    Good luck!

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Nein, es ist nicht schwierig

Ich kann mich nicht erinnern, an wo ich meine kaufte. aber ich schaue herum.

ps - sorry if my grammer is a little off.

8. MMPascal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replys so I guess I dont have to change the whole keyboard ... just certain keys? Makes sense, I am really trying to do that just for the customs part alone when I travel back. Anyway, thanks for the answers :)

@ ViciousShadow21: Dein Deutsch is ziemlich gut, wo hast du das gelernt? In der Schule? Danke für die hilfe

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well i remembered where i got the stickers i use. i bought my gf Rosetta Stone so that we can speak in German and it came with that. i dont know where in my head i thought i bought them ha. im sure that you can find them tho.

Meine Eltern sprechen Deutsch. Es war eine zweite Sprache für mich Aufwachsen