Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I recently changed the language on my MacBook Pro.

Is there any way to specify certain applications use a language other than the one that I changed my system to?

Example: I changed my language to language A in the System Preferences. However, I want, say, Safari, to always open in Language B.

Furthermore, I noticed that after changing the language, logging out, and then logging back in, that days and months have not been changed to that language in the Calendar nor the time/date in the menu bar.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks. I'm already aware of that method. However, the issue I'm having is that iCal is in one language, but the actual calendar dates are still in English (and so is the time/date in the menu bar next to Spotlight).

Under OS X 10.8.2, if I drag Français to the top of the list in:
System Preferences > Languages & Text > Language tab.

then I see two warnings in the blank area to the right of the list:
1. Changes take effect in the Finder...
2. Your preferred language is different from the language that is currently used for date, time, and number formats.

I think #2 is relevant to your situation. Change those settings under the "Region" tab in the Languages & Text pane.

The tab is named "Formats" in 10.6.8, and there are the same two warnings when I change the primary language in the Languages list.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Under OS X 10.8.2, if I drag Français to the top of the list in:
System Preferences > Languages & Text > Language tab.

then I see two warnings in the blank area to the right of the list:
1. Changes take effect in the Finder...
2. Your preferred language is different from the language that is currently used for date, time, and number formats.

I think #2 is relevant to your situation. Change those settings under the "Region" tab in the Languages & Text pane.

The tab is named "Formats" in 10.6.8, and there are the same two warnings when I change the primary language in the Languages list.

EDIT: Nevermind. After playing around with a few settings in what you suggested I managed to fix it. Thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.