Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dshootist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
i know that you can change the Admin password by using the Install disc, but how can you change the Master Password when the admin has left the building (got fired)? i'm trying to pick up the pieces where he left them and since he's not being too forthcoming with returning email, what i'm left with is a mess. they just don't need someone backdooring them later, so i've been charged with resetting passwords. how to do this?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
dshootist said:
i know that you can change the Admin password by using the Install disc, but how can you change the Master Password when the admin has left the building (got fired)? i'm trying to pick up the pieces where he left them and since he's not being too forthcoming with returning email, what i'm left with is a mess. they just don't need someone backdooring them later, so i've been charged with resetting passwords. how to do this?

It's the same process, use the install disk, select the Admin account. (It should be the same account, but perhaps not).

If the file valt feature is enabled, your screwed if he/she doesn’t get you that password.

All passwords should be kept in a sealed envelop and left with that persons supioror. This is a fault with the company’s hireing/fireing process and information services policy. This kind of thing happens often. As part of their job, they should manage, update and store passwords in some sort of secure form that somebody up the chain also has access to. There has to be some sort of writen data retention policty. An employee dosn't have to give you access to their email (debatable), but they should have to unlock keychains and yeald passwords. Doing this after the fact is difficult.

What happens if the tech guy gets wacked by a car, or as you found, fired. You should shoot to have some sort of policy set up.

Change the passwords on the routers, wireless networks, and door codes/keys and voice mail and FAX passwords, if your so inclined. Backdooring is really only a problem if the person installed some sort of VPN, in most cases.

The only way you will get the person to look at your email is to offery to pay them for their time as a contract employee.

If this guy is discruntled, really pissed, I would make sure that all of your software licences are up to date. They should be anyway, but he is the guy that knows if the company has managed it's licences properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.