Changing the name of the home folder.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TodVader, Oct 25, 2007.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Hi. When I installed OSX10.4, I left the name of the home folder to mathieuroy (my name without spaces of caps). I want to change the name to Home or at least Mathieu. I hate seeing my name so poorly written. I want to upgrade to leopard without formatting so I wanted to change it before I upgrade. Is there a way in Tiger to change it? Or else, is there a way in leopard which I could do tomorrow?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's a complicated process in Tiger. It can be done, but you have to be careful.

In Leopard, you can change it right in the Accounts pane of System Preferences.

I'd wait if I were you.

jW

4. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Thanks to both of you. I will wait for leopard. Since I've lived 2 months with it, I can live another day lol. Apple thinks of everyone's need, even my little picky needs like this.

5. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

At worst, why not create a new user account with the correct name and slowly migrate over to it.. You can use a temporary .mac account to transfer a lot of the settings over..

then you can delete your old account..

6. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Can you make the new account admin then delete the admin account?

7. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Alright it's done now. I don't really care about settings since I didn't change them much and I just put all my files in the shared folder. I created another account and gave it admin rights then deleted the first account.