Changing the OS required to run an app.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by darngooddesign, Mar 10, 2010.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Assuming there aren't any 313-specific APIs required, how can I trick an App-Store app that requires 313 to run on 312?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I saw a new app in Cydia that does this. I can't remember what it was called though. I think if you search for 3.1.3, it should come up.

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm just wondering, what apps are you guys running into that requires 3.1.3? I haven't seen any yet..:confused:

4. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

When Canabalt came out it required the latest OS, and Attic, which I'm interested in, now requires 313.

5. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

6. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

When I tried to add it I received the Application Signature Not Valid error.

7. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Nevermind...
    See posts below.

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

9. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

10. jayenh macrumors 6502

anyone on this forum used this with success? the comments on the link above are a little off putting.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is another thread here on this with maybe 4 or 5 apps listed that require 3.1.3.

The only one I know of is AT&T Mark the Spot. I'm just using the older version.

12. iphone4 macrumors member

I just used iFile (I'm sure you could use iPhoneBrowser or ssh too) to edit
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

I edited it to
    <string>3.1.3<string>

and reboot. iTunes now lets me add 3.1.3 apps (and the one I wanted worked fine).

13. jayenh macrumors 6502

thanks guys. there's a route tracking app that i want to use but is 3.1.3 reliant, other wise i wouldn't be bothered about doing this.

edit:

this did it. thanks.

14. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Great tip! Makes perfect sense.

15. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

For such a minor revision, I think most of the time this is just caused by the developer being lazy and not changing the compilation target SDK to something more universal like the 3.0 SDK.

The first app of mine that was in the store required 3.1something before I realized I wasn't using any specific APIs beyond what was available in 3.0. I quickly issued an update.

16. funn1bunn1 macrumors newbie

This changed the firmware version, and I can install higher pre-req apps now. but my existing iFile and Terminal apps are gone. I checked inside Cydia, so I know the apps are still in the ipod, but then the icons don't show on screen. I wonder why.

Err..... I just realize I hid the iFile and Terminal icons in my SBSettings, so there are not there.

I want to ask would faking my ipod touch firmware version confuses Cydia to backup my wrong firmware data? and would it slow down my ipod?

Thanks.

17. funn1bunn1 macrumors newbie

After removing Ad Blocker (sinful) and respring, ipod freezes. After force booting it, Installous is gone... But it's in Cydia...

I checked SBSettings too, it's in there. But the icon is not there! Help!