changing the password of the screen lock.. 5G iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ashjamben, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i set my screen lock password one my ipod a while ago and can't remember what it is! i havn't locked my ipod with the screen lock, i'm not that dumb, but because i don't know it i can't change it.

i know you can sync with a computer to unlock it when it is locked, but will this allow me to change it at all?

thanks in advance

2. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've figured it out. just for anyone whos interested:

i had to do it with windows, because i don't know how to view hidden files on the ipod on a mac. So first, turn on view hidden files in windows (folder options>view>hidden files and folders>show hidden files and folders), and open the ipod up from my computer. 'iPod_Control' will now show up, go into that folder and then go into the 'Device' folder. various files should show up in there. i hadn't locked up my ipod, but because screen lock had been enabled there was a file named '_unlocked'. i just deleted that file, ejected the ipod and reset it (holding down select button and menu until it shuts down). and that was it. i could now set a new screen lock on my ipod as if it was the first time i got my ipod.

hope this helps anyone else who wants to change their password,

thanks

3. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

My daughter just forgot her password on her iPod nano, so I used this tip. On a Mac I had to use X-Ray to see the file (called '_locked'), trashed it and hey presto. One grateful(ish) daughter. And father - thanks!

4. montana small1 macrumors newbie

Hello, my name is Montana,
    and i was wondering if the quote thats under the doted line works for any kind of ipod? I have a nike+ipod, and i forgot the password. The reson why i need to know is because, my volume limit is set to low, and i cant hear it when im out skateboarding.
    Thank You,
    some fifteen year old, named Montana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

i presume so, as long as your ipod is formatted to windows.

if it's mac formatted then windows won't recognise it and i presume you will not be able to search through the files and folders on the ipod