Changing the Video Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andylaiphoto, Mar 4, 2016.

1. andylaiphoto macrumors member

Is it possible on a MBP?

I have a '10 model
    2.66 core i7
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB.

I'm starting to do more video work and it's not holding up as well as I'd like. I just ordered an iMac to handle the bulk of the load. I will have times where I'm shooting in the field and would like to be able to do quick edits with 4k footage. As it is it can't handle 4k.

Thanks.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, it's not possible. The CPU and GPU on MBPs are soldered to the logic board.

3. andylaiphoto thread starter macrumors member

4. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I lol'd.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

6. andylaiphoto thread starter macrumors member

That's it, as long as you can solder? The computer will recognize the card and work?

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

No. These GPUs have a BGA package, i.e. they are soldered to the logic board by placing them on a special spot with lots of little blobs of solder, then the whole board is put in an oven. Look it up, it's quite interesting.

In any case, a solder station is useless here. I don't know about the pinout of these GPUs, whether they're custom jobs or not, but in theory you could replace them if you have an oven that goes hot enough. In practice it would be frontpage news if you succeed. I've read about a guy who did it once, couple of years ago. But that was repairing, not replacing.

You're much better off replacing the whole machine. This one is now 6 years old.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not really no.

JUst about 99.9% of all laptops made in the last 15 years out there have nothing upgradeable but the RAM and hard drive. Everything else is soldered onto one board. That's pretty much the only way to get things thin and light.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's not THAT impossible to replace the GPU, but, you're right about options available for upgrades.

Anyway, we've got a piece of equipment where I work that is designed to remove BGAs and other leadless parts. It basically uses very hot air directed at the area you're reworking. It requires a fairly experienced operator, and the temperature map has to be programmed for the specific assembly or assemblies you're reworking. So, it might take a try or two to get the process right.