Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phishndave

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I recently became interested in transforming my mac. I really want to "dork it out" Change the icons, add cool apps, personalize my dock, personalize pretty much every option of my computer. How dxo i go about doing this? Any good ideas or software?? I already know about shapeshifer but thats all i know. Any help would be great. I need to know how to change things, and where i can find cool mods. Thanks.

Drew

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Here's a nice little downloadable PDF guide that takes you through everything about Mac OS X GUI customization and gives a lot of good recommendations about how to do everything. It's somewhat outdated, but almost everything mentioned still applies or still exists.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
If you don't mind getting down and dirty with system files, replacing the .icns files in certain packages will change the default icon of certain files. For instance, in System/Library/CoreServices/Coretypes.bundle, you can change the default icon of folders, not to mention the finder icon and the trash icon. Nearly all of the icons in OSX can be found and changed if you look hard enough. Start by typing "locate .icns" in Terminal (without the quotes). That should get you started. To make icns files, try Iconographer. Works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.