Changing themed icons

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, May 12, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I downloaded a theme from Cydia, & it failed to change my pictures & Camera icons. I went into iFile & found the camera icon, even though it's not displayed on the springboard.

For the camera, should I navigate to the camera icon in the theme's folder & change the name to 'Camera@2x~iphone.png', & then rename the stock icon? Similar process for the pictures icon?

Thanks!

2. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

The correct file name for the camera app should be "Icon@2x.png" (with a capital "I"). No need to rename the stock camera icon if you are using WinterBoard. Just correct the name in the theme folder for the camera app and un-check + re-check that particular theme in WB and respring.

Also check out an app in Cydia called iWipe Cache. Sometimes icons aren't themed due to the cache. This will clear out the cache so that themed icons appear properly.

3. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks! Hm... There's already an icon w/ that name, but it doesn't seem to be applied... Should I change the name of a different icon to Icon@2x.png & respring?

If that doesn't work, I'll download that package - thanks for the info! Anything I may need to keep in the cache before wiping it?

Also, there are alternative icons in an "extra icons" folder in the theme folder. Do I just change the icon's name in there, or do I need to use iFunbox, etc. to move it to the appropriate app's folder before renaming it?

Thanks again!

4. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Some theme packages have MULTIPLE icons for certain apps. If you don't want the theme's default icon, just rename it to something else (ie "Icon_ALT@2x.png") and change the file name of whatever additional icon you want to use in it's place. You can't have 2 icons with the SAME name....so that might be your problem right there.

iFile works fine in renaming icons, but you can also use iFunbox as well. User preference.

Also there is no harm in deleting cache files. I use "iWipe Cache" regularly and have never encountered any issues (4S, 5.0.1).

EDIT: Also some themes require SummerBoard Mode to be ON in WinterBoard. If not enabled, do so and respring.

5. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yep - I've changed icons before, but they've all been within the same folder within the theme. This one has additonal icons in an "extra icons" folder. I was thinking I'd somehow have to move it to the "mapps app", etc. folder to work.

Some of the apps seem to be using icons with the name "icon@2x.png", while others use "Icon@2x.png" - can't use the camera icon using either name, though...

Thanks again for the pointers!

6. ZCherub, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Okay - I tried renaming the icons I want within the camera folder to "icon@2x.png", & "Icon@2x.png". Did a fresh respring after both. Neither of these changed the icon on my springboard...

I installed iWipe Cache per HickDead's advice, launched it, then resprung the device. Still no custom icons....

The theme is Faith HD SD. Anyone have any other suggestions? I think I'm just about out of ideas...

EDIT: Fixed - the icon is actually called "Camera@2x~iphone.png", an Photos is similarly titled. I guess those names changed in an update since 4.1 when I last did this... Hope this helps someone else w/ this issue!

7. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Really strange. I have encountered issues with themed icons before, but changing the name and/or clearing the cache always did the trick for me. Maybe someone else can chime in and hopefully get to the bottom of this for you.

My only other suggestion is to try an app called ThemIconMaker.

8. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks again - I'll definitely keep that in mind! I edited the post above because I figured out the issue - apparently not all stock apps use the Icon@2x.png name anymore - Photos and Camera are among them.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

9. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

What iOS version is your device on? That could be the reason why certain files have different file names.

10. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Easiest way to change you icons if you're using winter board is to create a folder inside the theme you're using name Icons. Then all you need to do is name the icons accordingly to what the springboard name is. For example if you're changing App Store just name the new icon App Store@2x.png and App Store.png. Turn summer board on and you're done. I find this much more useful if i'm changing multiple icons. Much easier to copy and paste out of theme and move back if theme has an update. I can update 20 icons in 5 minutes...