Changing to dual HDD, new OS X and Win 7 Install help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brisweeney, Dec 1, 2013.

1. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

So here's the skinny....

I'm swapping out my hdd for a 1tb hybrid drive, and replacing the SuperDrive with a 128gb ssd.

I want the ssd to boot osx and win7, and the bigger programs I use on the windows side, virtualizers, packet tracer etc.

I want the 1tb hybrid drive to be solely storage for both systems.

So I've a couple of questions, with regards to install process and setting up the drives in the way I outlined above.

I'm happy with the changing of the hardware, but I need to know if changing out both disks at the same time is the way to go, or do the ssd first and then the 1tb. I know I can boot osx ml from a USB, install it to the ssd, then deal with running boot camp assistant to install win 7, my only concern is can win 7 be installed from a USB, on a mbp that shipped with a SuperDrive originally? I remember reading apple killed that feature with an update. If I plug the SuperDrive via a USB enclosure can I install win 7 from the DVD that way, or will I need to keep the SuperDrive in, and install the 1tb drive after.

With regards to keeping the ssd as a boot drive and using the 1tb as storage, how to I point each system to save to the hdd and not the ssd

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance to any one that can share some experience and help! It's going to be my Xmas holiday project

2. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

3. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

You want to use CCC or SuperDuper to copy your OSX install and anything that you want to install on the SSD onto the SSD in a USB enclosure, then test boot from it. If it works, install it, then put the 1TB drive in and copy the data you want on it to it.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have had problems booting 2010/11 MBP models from the optical bay, SATA 3 devices have to be set to use SATA 2 only to work properly in them I've found. Not tested one of the new SSHD's in an optical bay yet and not sure if they will have a utility to downgrade the SATA handshake to SATA-2.

I would put the SSHD drive in the optical bay and get a larger 250gb SSD in the main bay for booting windows and OSX. 128gb I would recommend as minimum for 7x64 alone with all the updates and service packs, I've had to migrate many customers off 64gb SSD who have got them nearly full and that's a very bad thing for a SSD, it wears them out very quickly.

5. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

So you'd recommend putting the 1tb hybrid drive in the optical bay, and the ssd in the hdd bay? Won't the hdd then lose the "shock protection" function that takes the arm away from the disc when the laptop is moved?

I've installed win7 64bit on my machine at the moment and it's only taken about 40gb in space including sp1, so even with osx ml on there it shouldn't go above 128, although i know it really is better to have room for growth.

Do I really need to install while it's in an external enclosure as suggested above or just swap the drives out and do fresh installs of both os's

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I would recommend sticking the mechanical HDD in the optical bay yes - but not sure I would use the SSHD if it can't be programmed for SATA 2 use only, usually via a bootable cd ISO. HGST and Samsung models I know can be set , WD too I think also but you will have to investigate whether your SSHD can. Many have shock sensors built into the drives nowadays to park the heads, Apple started using their own sensors built into the logic board before the manufacturers started fitting them.

There's a golden rule of SSD and that's to try not to leave them over 75% full else they wear out much, much faster. If I was in your shoes I would buy a 250 SSD like an 840 evo and partition it evenly between Windows and Mac OS.

7. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

- If you are using a 2010 MBP, you won't have problems with the SATA connection, as far as I know(except that they will be SATA II speeds;). I have a 15inch 2010 MBP as well and it contains 2 Sandisk Extreme SSD's, both SATA III.

http://blog.macsales.com/11895-2011-macbook-pro-sata-problems-resolved/comment-page-2#comments

OWC larry is stating that there is no issue in 2010 MBP's.

- Installing OS X in the optibay should work as well, but you may not be able to install Windows there. At least I was never able to do that. When I had the optibay removed, Windows wasn't able to locate the files, regardless of USB or external DVD drive.

I ended up putting Windows SSD in the hard drive bay and OS X in the optibay. If you want both OS's in the optibay side... I suppose you can install both when you have the SSD in the hard drive bay and then move it.

(I've never tried that configuration but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

8. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

thanks for the replies

I believe you may be right with regards to not being able to install win 7 via a usb iso file, it will work on macbook air and retina macbook pro, as they done ship with a opti drive, but as far as i remember apple killed that option (for what ever reason) a while back for ones that shipped with an opti drive.

so on the one hand gav mack is saying put the HDD in the optibay because an SSD will not work due to sata II/III problems, but blake is saying it is working fine on his, apart from not being able to load win 7 onto it with no disc drive installed.

so my options seem to be put the ssd in the HDD bay, load on osx, win7 and get it up and running, then swap the ssd to the opti bay, and install the HDD in the regular bay (theres actually a how to on instructables on exactly that procedure)

or as gave mack says do as above but then leave the ssd in the HDD bay and put the HDD in the opti bay….

the confusion!!! I will however take gav macks advice and send back the 128gb ssd and get a 240gb (as owc sell) instead, but still not sure to get the data doubler to put in the opti bay or not!

9. Gav Mack, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I've done at least half a dozen optical bay upgrades to 2010 MBP models and had grief with SATA 3 drives myself, having to reset the drives firmware to SATA 2 to get it working properly. Not comments on boards but real life hassle for me!

If you search my posts I replied to a poster who had a problem with a HGST drive with a 2011 with the same problem in the past week or so, think it was a 7k1000 they had problems with...

Here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1678569

10. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

Good luck :)

I was very excited when I first installed optibay into my MBP as well.

If you are concerned about the SATA connection speed though, OWC has a trimmed down version for sale:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J28001S2/

4.This unit has been firmware updated with HGST authorization to be limited to SATA 2.0 3Gb/s link fully SATA 1.5Gb/s backwards compatible.The 3Gb/s link speed setting ensures reliable operation for use in 2011 MacBook Pro optical bay as well as with other certain systems that do not properly link to 3Gb/s with a 6Gb/s type drive.

The HDD will never reach SATA II limits anyway so I guess this could be an option, if you do not move your macbook around very much.

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It's not the SATA limits that's the problem with fitting it in the bay, it's the MBP not liking the SATA 3 handshake coming from the hard drive itself to its SATA controller via the optical port. All OWC have done is get authorisation from HSGT to use the bootable ISO to set the drive to SATA 2 only and preserve its warranty status. Any modern hard drive including the OP's SSHD will do as long as you can set the SATA mode for it by a utility. If not you can possibly run into problems like I have often!

12. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

Ahh, I see. I was vaguely aware that the issue had something to do with mismatching handshake in the optibay side, but didn't know you could do-it-yourself with any drive from a utility.

In that case I guess any drive could suit the OP's optibay...

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Whack the mechanical in the optibay, SSD in the normal HD spot. Would recommend going for a 256gb SSD tho, samsung 840 are pretty solid reliable units.

The shock protection still works on your mechanical drive in the optibay.

Put osx on the SSD and boot camp. The boot camp drivers will allow windows to read your osx disks so keep files etc on the mechanical. Keep osx apps on the SSD and things like your iPhoto library if you can spare the space.

Enjoy.

14. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

When I moved from a single hard drive to a dual hard drive system, I had to install Windows 7 on my stock 750GB hard drive first, remove the drive to place into an OptiBay, swap optical drive for OptiBay, install 750GB Seagate Momentous XT, and install OS X on Momentous XT. The process was a little bit of an inconvenience, but it's worth it.

15. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've a delivery coming from owc this week so will send the 128gb SSD with data doubler back and get a 256gb. With regards to putting the HDD in the opti bay,will the data doubler fit the HDD ok, they are, I presume the same size?

One more thing. Does anyone have a link to the terminal commands on osx to point the home folder to the HDD and the comparitable commands for win7?

16. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Check to see if the SSHD will fit the optibay in terms of height.

Search for symlinks and home folder on the forum you will find the answer for OSX. Windows 7 uses libraries for the documents music and videos folder you can add the folders on the other drive. Right click properties for each one in start menu pane on right hand side.