Changing to SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daniel97, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have CCC installed on my MBP and want to instal an SSD

I have run a CCC backup to an external drive but it isn't the same size as my Mac HD?

Why is this? - I thought it should be a 1 for 1 backup?

2. simsaladimbamba

With "it isn't the same size as my Mac HD" do you mean the external HDD has another capacity than the internal HDD? If that is so, then that is not a problem.
    If you mean, that you cloned copy of the internal HDD to the external HDD is not the same size as the original, then do you have any other data on that external HDD?
    I clone a lot, but maybe CarbonCopyCloner is not cloning the swap files and the sleep image.

And how do you compare the original and the clone?

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

my Macintosh HD shows about 81GB where as the CCC on the external shows about 71GB

the external drive was at 0GB before the copy?

4. c0l3a5h3r macrumors member

c0l3a5h3r

That is because OSX takes about 10 GB of space. Most backup software does not back up the OS since you just reinstall the OS from the disk anyway.

5. simsaladimbamba

Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.
    And does the external HDD include the folders called "Applications", "System" and "Library"?
    And what option did you choose in CarbonCopyCloner?

Not true for cloning software like CarbonCopyCloner, unless one deselects it specifically.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i want it to literally copy the entire contents so that if i need to i can open up the back of the mac and swap the HD's and then turn it on like nothings happened

7. simsaladimbamba

I know, that is why I asked those questions.

8. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

every box in CCC is ticked?

and yea all my apps, system and library etc have moved over :S

9. G-Money macrumors member

Is there a sleep image saved to the original HD that's not getting transferred over?

Depending on your set-up, that could be 8GB right there.

Otherwise, I would suggest cleaning off the SSD and starting again. When you set it up to clone, ensure that there is green writing on the righthand side of the window that says something to the effect of "This drive will be bootable"

10. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are fine. Here is a list of files that CCC does not move to the new drive in a clone. Just pop in your new drive and after the first boot and these temp files will be recreated and I bet you will find the drive size then matches the old one.