Changing UISounds without Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmine83, Jul 9, 2011.

1. jmine83 macrumors member

I've researched this matter beforehand, and did a search on the forums here, but I did not feel there were any responses or good info I could use. So if this sort of thing has already been explained before, I apologize.

Anyways, based on Google searches, the most common, standard answer to the question: "Can you change the UISounds files without jailbreaking the iPhone?" is simply NO. I understand that. However, I've been thinking about this, and came up with a way that might work without, at least, having a jailbroken phone in the end.

First off, I know that every time you plug in your iPhone into your computer with iTunes, the contents between the phone and the computer are auto-synced, but also the phone contents are backed up. I know where the backup directory for the iPhone is, which is apparently a ton of different randomly named files that I don't understand that go with "one" backup session. This leaves me scratching my head to question exactly what file contents of the iPhone are backed up? Is it literally everything, or what files are backed up exactly?

Anyways, here is "my plan" that I'm thinking I want to execute. I would appreciate feedback and confirmation as to whether or not my logic in this plan is valid.

1. Backup iPhone with iTunes.
    2. Jailbreak iPhone.
    3. Replace desired UISound files with custom sounds.
    4. Restore iPhone with iTunes with last backup in step 1 when iPhone was not jailbroken, and hope that the custom sounds will remain intact. Thus, erasing any evidence of jailbreaking AND keeping the custom sounds.

Will this work?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I doubt it. I have to change my custom text sounds every time I update because they always revert. That's even after the sync.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just leave the phone jailbroken. Will not work if u restore to normal.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Even if it did work (and I don't think it will), I'm not sure what would be the point would be. If the idea was to try and preserve warranty status without having to restore later, that still wouldn't work. The custom sounds alone would be evidence you'd jailbroken it, since they can't be installed without doing so. You'd still have to rejailbreak, fix the sounds, and then restore again to take it into Apple for repair.

It seems like it would be far better just to JB, make a custom Winterboard theme for your UI sounds (thereby not risking moving/altering the wrong files), and not add anything else if it's performance you're concerned over. Or JB and use ToneFXs, which a lot of people seem to like. A jailbreak with very minimal mods such as these doesn't bog an iPhone 4 down at all.