Changing Username, multiple accounts etc

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by v1nc3, Dec 10, 2008.

1. v1nc3 macrumors newbie

I am buying 5 2g ipod touchs for a variety of age ranges. I would like to "set up" the things for the younger ones. I would be syncing all of them on 1 PC and purchasing a few songs and adding bookmarks etc. My questions;

1) can you change your username with itunes?

2) can you download, purchase with gift cards, directly and using the itouch once an account is created?

3) can you access your account from the itouch?

The goal is to be able to allow control of content without access to a computer. Is this possible?

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

I believe iTunes management can only be done with access to iTunes, which can only be accessed by a mac or pc.

3. v1nc3 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about changing the username? Even if I had to do it once from a pc. Also, what purpose does the web store button accomplish then?

4. linkycat macrumors member

I'm not 100% on what you are going for here... but if you have an account under the name John, ipod 1 named 'Sally's ipod' through itunes, then you have ipod 2 and name it "Ruth's ipod" you can synch them both through itunes on John's account/one computer. You can set each one to have it's own music and playlists, and associate it with John's itunes account.

Then both Sally and Ruth have the ability to purchase more songs through the itunes store on their ipod Touch, and listen to it individually. Eventually, should you plug the ipod back into your original computer it would synch these purchased songs with your PC. However, once Sally's iPod is set up, it is forever associated with John's account until the ipod is reformatted or on a new computer is erased and re-created with a new account.

At least, that's my understanding... I am hardly an expert!

5. v1nc3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be fine, they would want to appear as names they chose for their instant messaging, I would think that is not connected to itunes.

The main thing I am interested in is if they can purchase songs and games, if they have a ballance in the account, through the web store feature.

It would also be nice if they could add funds to the account in the same way using gift cards.

I am divorced and wont be there to help them. I am hoping I could set accounts/account here and then they could get would they need through the device itself. The places that sell these things do not have the answers to these questions.

6. linkycat macrumors member

I think that only you will be able to add money to the itunes account - it will have to be yours and associated with your computer; though they can still access it from the phone. So they could give you the gift card codes over the phone and then you can apply them, but that would make the funds available to both users.... kind of hard to control who spends what :)

They will have no problem using messenging services as different users.

Again, I'm hardly an itunes expert, so there may be other options... but this all so far seems pretty reasonable :)

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

likewise, i am not an expert BUT

i no that the ipod has parental controls on it that you change on the ipod, but lock with a passcode. and also there are two options that might be good:

1. Buy an iTunes gift card. they can be redeemed on a computer or on the ipod itslef i think
    2. Set up a funding account in which it purchases through a credit card, but gives then a limited ballance.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

YOu can do an allowance (#2 above) - sets a monthly amount that transfers to their iTunes account.

I would also think that you would probably want to log out of the iTunes store and create a new account for each of them. Otherwise, any GC or money will be shared between you and them - without a limit. This should be easy to do when you log out, but the iPod will still remain connected to your computer like others have mentioned.

Here is what it will do with the allowance (i actually was reading this page earlier today). Its under the "Buy iTunes Gifts"
    [​IMG]

9. v1nc3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx everyone. It looks like I can do what I intended. I will set up different acounts, they can call me with gift card info, and as long as they have a balance, then they can get what they want directly from the itouch.

The "allowance/balance limit" feature is nice to know about. It will really help me in my situation.

Thx again. :)