Changing video format

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jkramb, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I have several videos in AVI format that I would like to change to a .mp4 format so that i can put them in my itunes library and view them in itunes. What proogram do i need to do this? I tried using ffmpegx put i couldn't really get it to work. can someone recommend a program and give me some instruction on how to do this?

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

3. Mattaut macrumors regular

4. Lunchbox16 macrumors member

Does MPEG Streamclip affect video quality? I have some MPEGs from my wedding that I'd like to make into a DVD, but I don't want to loose any of the video quality.

5. cncpaul macrumors newbie

Just use quicktime
    open them and click on export and choose the type of file you want.
    But MPEG Streamclip will do the same thing just a little faster. I've never had MPEG Streamclip change the quality from the original.

6. AlexStenberg macrumors newbie

AlexStenberg

7. -DH macrumors 65816

Anytime you transcode into another codec, quality can be (and often is) affected. Quality will never increase over the original, but it can most definitely decrease. It all depends on your intended codec and the export settings you choose.

-DH

8. kuja2000 macrumors newbie

Hiya im having a similar problem im trying to convert an avi file to mpeg 4 so i can burn it to a dvd using idvd. the program that the great all knowing entity the internet has told me to use is stream clip but it won't read the avi file properly and it seems to be the same for avi's from different sources.. In the case of the first one the film is two hours long. When stream clip opens it, it gives no image and tells me its only 50mins long???, this is the zeitgeist official avi movie so it shouldn't be corrupt. I tried it with an episode of top gear also avi and it still will only display a blank screen when opened but it least it gets the length right. Is there a special way in which your supposed to open files in stream clip other than just going open files?? I have no idea why it doesent seem to be able to correctly read avi? When encoded despite this i just a blank screen for the duration of what streamclip decided the length of the film was.

Im running a 2009 macbook pro

9. -DH macrumors 65816

First read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=688294

AVI isn't really a video format; like QuickTime, it's just a container for audio/video files. An AVI file (or a QT .mov file) could be made from any number of codecs. If the codec used in making the AVI file isn't installed on your system it won't be able to display the video.

What is the source of the AVI files? See if you can determine the codec you need, then locate and install that codec (if it's available for Macs).

-DH

10. kuja2000 macrumors newbie

Wow I did not know that, The source of the files are dvd rips, the file name extension reads DVDRip.Xvid.avi

With my primitive knowlege im guessing is Xvid a divX codec or something similar?
    Where could I find the required codecs?

One more question, the files play sweetly on vlc as does everything I guess, by virtue of Vlc being on my computer could I have the required codec??