Changing volume - iTunes or computer speaker knob?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ThaDoggg, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

When changing the volume what should you do first? Have the computer at max (or min) and change the volume using the computer speaker knob or vice versa (change volume using iTunes and have the computer speakers close to max)?

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Honestly I wish the iTunes volume was linked to the system volume controls, or at least have an option for it. I really have no use for the iTunes specific volume controls, though I know other people have a use for it.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I've got the volume slider in iTunes all the way up. I'm not even sure why that is even there in the OS X version. Then I have the computer output volume on the higher end, but typically not max, and the speakers somewhere in the middle of their range. I assume you get better sound quality with the stronger signal coming from the computer, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I generally just fiddle around with it until I get a good balance, as the volume of each device contributes to the overall EQ.

4. ThaDoggg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I tend to find that I do get better sound if I have the iTunes volume maxed out, computer volume maxed out or close to it and then just change the actual volume from the speakers. But just want to see if it really matters from some audiophiles on this forum. :cool:

5. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

If you're using a normal set of computer speakers the difference isn't going to be massive but you get the best signal to noise ratio from having your volume in itunes at max and the mac volume at max and then use your speakers volume control to adjust your listening volume.

If you're using any sort of EQ in itunes that makes any of the bands in your itunes EQ louder then you want to lower your itunes volume accordingly to minimize internal clipping.