Changing Volume name on boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OneTimeUserName, Oct 23, 2010.

1. OneTimeUserName macrumors newbie

Apology in advance for my English. Please hesitate not to ask for the clarification. This may sound stupid but I wonder how to change name of Windows Partition when booting up (when choose which volume Mac or Windows).

I have change my C: drive name (was in past "Untitled"... eww) and it shows up changed as this new volume name on both my Mac and Windows sides. I also changed my Mac side harddrive name and it shows up changed on my Mac and PC sides. So this is all good and correct.

But when I boot up holding option, and am able in choosing which volume to use (Mac side or Windows Partition) the Mac side choice will be named whatever I have named the main drive which is what I expect. But the Windows Partition will just be named "Windows". It will not be named what my C: drive is named (which is what shows up on my Mac side desktop and what I want it to show up as).

This probably all sounds silly and of trivial but it would mean much to me if any one knew a way in changing so that when I choose which drive to use "Windows" will show up as C: "Drivename" would be much appreciated. If this could be a complicating issue I will let you know that the harddrive name for my Windows side contains a ' if that would cause a problem (but my Mac side name does too so it doesn't make much sense to me).

Thank you much in advance for all response, sorry for being of verbose.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Using a third part boot loader is the only way to customize it. Check out rEFIt at http://refit.sf.net

B

3. OneTimeUserName thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you much in your aid. Before installing this I feel I need ask if it is unillegal?

If so then that is great but according to this:
    "http://refit.sourceforge.net/help/multiple_disks.html"
    it will not fix my problem???

My reading is not perfect and so perhaps I misunderstood but this means I can't use it for my Windows (which is secondary) drive?

Thanks.

Editing:

I can also get around this if I can have Mac show up as a different name then the harddrive name in the bootloader. Is this possible?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

rEFIt is not illegal and only gives you a bit more control over the boot process than the regular boot loader.

The link you are referring to is for systems like a Mac Pro where there are multiple physical hard drives, I suspect you are referring to a more typical single physical hard drive two partition case.

B

5. OneTimeUserName thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try this soon then. I will again respond if it will not work but I expect it will your advice. :D