Changing Wallpaper at user/login window???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MAC4life85, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MAC4life85 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change the wall paper on the start up/login window? I hate the stock looking blue wallpaper it bugs me! I know its probably in the library somewhere in text format. I need some direction to exactly where it would be! If you have to convert picture to text document to accomplish this you could throw me in the right direction of a good program that does that too. I have 10.4.11!

Thanks for your help! That goes out to the moderators too if i posted this in the wrong forum room :D yep newbie here

2. satchmoe macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this too; does anyone know?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I found this on a Google search, but haven't tried it yet:

To change the picture behind the login panel in 10.5, one must name the picture of choice DefaultDesktop.jpg, and drop it in to /System » Library » CoreServices. Doing this as the admin user is required for authentication purposes.

[robg adds: It's the simple things that can make using one's OS of choice more pleasant :). I used Terminal to create a backup of the original image first, just in case. After cding to the CoreServices directory, I then did sudo mv DefaultDesktop.jpg DefaultDesktop_old.jpg, then moved my new image in.]

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

NOTE: This method is for Tiger or earlier versions of OS X. See post below for Leopard.

Or the easy way...

Rename /Library/Desktop Pictures/Aqua Blue.jpg
    to
    Aqua Blue.ORIG.jpg

Then copy the picture you want to use to that folder and name it "Aqua Blue.jpg".

Restart.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

For those who haven't visited the site, Macosxhints.com is a gem of information which is where I found this info when I first got my iMac back in aug last year.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I could have just posted the link, but I wasn't sure how it would be received for me to post a link to another forum. I've found some great tidbits there, as well, but it doesn't appear to be as active or current as MacRumors.

This method did not work. The DefaultDesktop.jpg is a separate image, not an alias of Aurora.jpg

This worked:

In Terminal:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices
    sudo mv DefaultDesktop.jpg DefaultDesktop_old.jpg
    (enter password when prompted)
    quit Terminal

rename desired image to DefaultDesktop.jpg
    in Finder, drag and drop the image into /System/Library/CoreServices
    when asked, click Authenticate and enter user name and password for your Admin-level account.
    Restart

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's fine. They have great moderators over there.

My bad. That is where the Desktop image is for Leopard.

My method listed above is for Tiger and pre-Tiger.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

They have quite a bit of activity, not just in Leopard. Thing is they are hints, and it's only as active as people submit them. They actually got quite a bit, but they have to go through them make sure they aren't duplicates.

It's a great site none the less.