changing what the default file apps can open.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

i cant seem to find the settings in mac os x to change the default setting for what files apps can open.

what i mean is, whenever i open a pdf, it always opens in preview, instead of it opening in acrobat.

same with for video files, it always opens quicktime instead of the app i want.

thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is under "get info"
    Select a file and "get info" (cmd-I)
    You will see the option there

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Right click on the file you want to open and "Get Info" about half way down will be a drop down menu "Open With:"

Edit** I type slow :D

4. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

AWESOME! found it and it worked thanks so much

5. MLWings19 macrumors newbie

Open Tiff in Acrobat

I have been trying to change the global setting for Tiff files. I go through the steps but when I hit the change all button everything reverts back to opening with Preview.

We are having problems with some of our PDF files and they cannot be OCRed. The fix is to save the file as a Tiff and then re-save it as a PDF and everything works fine. I am trying to create an automator workflow to automate the process because there are several thousand files. However, once the Tiff file is created it opens in Preview instead of Acrobat. All the other time images on the machine open in Acrobat except for the new file created through the workflow. Does anyone have any solutions?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s